Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Burnley 2-1 Forest

24 September 2013

Nottingham Forest exited the Capital One Cup at the third round stage after a 2-1 defeat at Burnley this evening.

Matt Derbyshire had given Forest the lead midway through the first half but a brace from Danny Ings sealed The Clarets’ passage into the last 16 of the competition.

Billy Davies changed the entire starting 11 from the 2-2 draw against Doncaster Rovers as Dexter Blackstock made his first start of the season supporting Derbyshire in attack.

Forest saw the majority of possession in the game’s early stages but it was the home side who carved out the first opportunity. Danny Ings raced away on the counter-attack and pulled the ball back to the edge of the area but David Edgar saw his shot blocked away by Simon Gillett.

After a quiet start to the game, Forest grabbed the lead on 24 minutes. Jamie Paterson escaped down the left-hand side and after getting to the by-line, pulled a cross back into the six-yard box.

Blackstock’s initial shot was well saved by Heaton but Derbyshire was on hand to scramble home the rebound and give The Reds the lead.

As Forest’s fans were still celebrating in The David Fishwick Stand, Burnley could have been level within a minute.

Good work from Ings allowed the Burnley striker to get to the by-line find Junior Stanislas all alone at the back post with a deep cross. The winger directed his header towards goal but Dorus de Vries got across well to palm the ball away.

The home side were responding well after going behind and midfielder Keith Treacy was a constant menace from set-pieces. The Irishman swung in a devilish ball from a free-kick but Sam Vokes could only glance a header wide from close range.

Six minutes before the break the home supporters were baying for a penalty. Ings’ trickery got him away from Jamaal Lascelles inside the area but the young defender did well to get back and win the ball, despite the protests of the Burnley fans.

Forest were unable to hold onto their lead until half-time as Ings fired home a superb equaliser. With his back to goal on the edge of the area, the striker took one touch, turned and sent a shot past de Vries and into the top corner to level the game at the break.

There were no changes for either side at the interval but Forest soon had their third name in the book as Lascelles was cautioned for a late challenge on Vokes.

The second half began quietly but Burnley were the first to show just before the hour mark. Stanislas drove forward and with the Forest defence backing off, the winger curled a shot towards goal but de Vries did well to tip the ball around the post.

Burnley were asserting their authority on the game and de Vries was soon called into action once again. Treacy sprinted past Harding on the right of the penalty area and shot low towards the far corner but the Dutchman did well to turn the ball behind.

Sensing the home side’s dominance, Billy Davies made a double change as Guy Moussi and Blackstock were replaced by Chris Cohen and Simon Cox.

The substitutions almost made the perfect impact as Forest had their best chance of the second half.

A poor header back from Kieran Trippier set Derbyshire away and one-on-one with Heaton. The striker lifted a lob over the goalkeeper but it looped inches over the crossbar as the opportunity went begging.

That miss was to prove costly as Burnley went ahead just two minutes later. Stanislas whipped in a free-kick from the left and Ings pounced to get his head to the ball and turn it past de Vries.

With a quarter of an hour to play, the Forest manager responded with a last throw of the dice by replacing Radi Majewski with Ishmael Miller.

The hosts could have wrapped the game up soon after as Treacy ran at the Forest defence but after cutting inside he could only fire a shot wide of de Vries’ far post.

After Treacy’s miss, Forest steamed towards the other end and tested Heaton’s athleticism. Miller cut in from the right-hand side and fired an effort towards the top corner but the Burnley shotstopper dived to tip the ball over the bar.

That was to be the last action of an entertaining night at Turf Moor as Forest suffered a disappointing cup defeat in Lancashire.

Forest: De Vries, Jara, Collins, Lascelles, Harding, Gillett, Moussi (Cohen 64'), Paterson, Majewski (Miller 74'), Derbyshire, Blackstock (Cox 65')
Subs not used: Al Rashidi, Halford, Tudgay, Abdoun
Scorer: Derbyshire 24'
Bookings: Moussi, Gillett, Lascelles

Burnley: Heaton, Trippier, Mee, Shackell, Long, Edgar, Marney (Stock 34'), Stanislas, Treacy (Arfield 83'), Vokes (Kightly 88'), Ings
Subs not used: Cisak, Lafferty, O'Neill, Noble
Scorers: Ings 44', 68'
Booking: Stanislas

Referee: Darren Drysdale
Attendance: 6,405 (Away: 519)

Advertisement block