Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Charlton v Forest

1 October 2013

Charlton 1-1 Forest

Nottingham Forest picked up another point on the road after a 1-1 draw at Charlton Athletic this evening.

Andy Reid’s free-kick had given The Reds an early lead but a second-half strike from Marvin Sordell ensured the spoils were shared at The Valley.

Billy Davies made three changes from the weekend win over Derby as Nathaniel Chalobah, Dexter Blackstock and Matt Derbyshire took the places of Guy Moussi, Radi Majewski and Darius Henderson.

With momentum carrying over from Saturday’s success, Forest had the lead after just three minutes. Reid curled in a devilish free-kick from the right and the ball sailed through a crowded penalty area and into the corner of Ben Hamer’s net.

The home side responded well to going behind and had their first opportunity of the match after quarter of an hour. Rhoys Wiggins delivered a superb cross into the six-yard box but Simon Church couldn’t get his head to the ball and Danny Collins got round to clear.

Wiggins was proving a menace down the left-hand side for the hosts and as he sent another cross into the six-yard box, Sordell could only fluff his lines when well-placed in front of Karl Darlow’s goal.

Forest could have doubled their advantage on the half-hour make but Jamie Mackie was unfortunate to see two of his efforts cleared away. The striker first saw his shot saved by Hamer but as he flicked the rebound over the stricken goalkeeper, Lawrie Wilson got back to scramble the ball off the line.

Charlton were seeing the majority of possession and were inches away from restoring parity six minutes before the break. The ball rebounded off Chalobah on the edge of the box and fell to Wilson but the full-back could only curl his shot marginally wide of Darlow’s right-hand post.

In the final minute of normal time, The Addicks almost found themselves level. Church saw a close-range shot parried away by the sprawling Darlow before Dale Stephens cut into the penalty area and fired an effort inches over the Forest crossbar as The Reds held onto their slender lead at the break.

There were no changes for either side during the interval but within five minutes of the second half the home side were back on terms.

Callum Harriott dragged his shot horribly across the penalty area but the ball fell straight into the path of Wilson and the full-back sent in a low cross which Sordell was able to turn home from just outside the six-yard box.

With the hosts looking increasingly dangerous, Billy Davies made a double change on 55 minutes as Chalobah and Matt Derbyshire made way for Dan Harding and Simon Cox.

The change almost paid immediate dividends as Cox found the onrushing Reid inside the area. Unfortunately for the Irishman, he couldn’t keep his shot down and Hamer watched it sail well over the crossbar.

There were 20 minutes left on the clock as Forest made their final change as Blackstock made way for Darius Henderson as Billy Davies sought to inspire a winner from his side.

Charlton had an excellent opportunity to take the lead with 13 minutes remaining. Stephens’ free-kick was only partially cleared by The Reds and the ball fell kindly to Jordan Cousins but the midfielder could only scuff his shot well wide.

Cousins was at the centre of the action and was inches away from giving his side the advantage. Forest struggled to clear their lines once more and as the ball fell to Cousins, he lashed a shot against the post before Stephens spooned his shot over the bar.

The Reds applied some late pressure on the Charlton goal as they searched for a winner. Chris Cohen saw a powerful drive from the edge of the area blocked away by Cousins and the four minutes of added time were seen out as the honours ended even in South London.

Forest: Darlow, Lichaj, Hobbs, Collins, Cohen (c), Chalobah (Harding 56'), Lansbury, Reid, Mackie, Blackstock (Henderson 70'), Derbyshire (Cox 55')
Subs not used: Jara, de Vries, Abdoun, Halford
Scorer: Reid 3'
Booking: Lansbury 90'

Charlton: Hamer, Wilson, Wiggins, Wood, Morrison (c), Cousins, Gower (Hughes 74'), Stephens, Harriett (Dervite 90'), Church (Pigott 79'), Sordell
Subs not used: Alnwick, Evina, Cook, Stewart
Scorer: Sordell 50'

Referee: Fred Graham

Advertisement block