Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Ilkeston 0-2 Forest

13 July 2013

Nottingham Forest continued their pre-season preparations with a comfortable 2-0 win over non-league side Ilkeston FC at The New Manor Ground.

Early strikes from Simon Cox and Marcus Tudgay were enough to seal the victory as The Reds fielded a side mixed with first-teamers, including new signing Dorus de Vries in goal, and Academy players.
Forest started brightly in the Derbyshire sunshine and were ahead of their non-league opponents after just ten minutes. Ilkeston were dispossessed outside the penalty area and Tudgay unselfishly squared the ball to Cox who slotted past Peet from close range.
The lead was doubled three minutes later as Andy Reid played a through ball to Tudgay, who confidently chipped the ball over the advancing goalkeeper and into the net.
The Reds were enjoying the bulk of the possession and Peet had to be alert to parry away a rasping drive from Cox before Tudgay’s well-hit volley bounced off both posts and away to safety.
Ilkeston were battling gamely and could have pulled a goal back in the latter stages of the first half. First, Kane Richards motored through the midfield but could only scuff his shot wide from the edge of the box before de Vries had to be on hand with a low save to deny Gary Ricketts from six yards.
Guy Moussi could have extended Forest’s lead just before the interval but was extremely unlucky to see his curling effort cannon off the left-hand post.
Jack Blake and Ben Osborn came into the action at the interval, replacing Adlene Guedioura and Dan Harding after Tom Rawlings had come on for Cox towards the end of the first half.
Peet was called upon early in the second half as he was required to turn Henri Lansbury’s cross-cum-shot over, but the goalkeeper was soon well beaten as Reid’s 25-yard strike crashed off the crossbar and away to safety.
The searing heat and a number of substitutions had slowed the pace of the game considerably. Derrick Otim, Tom Glasscoe, Joe Worrall and Jack Kelly were all introduced to replace Moussi, Lansbury, Danny Collins and Reid.
Otim in particular looked lively and was unfortunate not to get on the scoresheet as he beat the goalkeeper to the ball and lifted it over him, only for two Ilkeston players to get back to clear the ball off the line.
Tudgay could have added gloss to the scoreline as he was given a one-on-one opportunity with the goalkeeper, but the home side managed to prevent the striker getting his shot away as Forest settled for a two-goal win.

Forest: de Vries, Hollingsworth, Harding (Osborn), Guedioura (Blake), Collins (Worrall), Woodward, Lansbury (Otim), Moussi (Glasscoe), Tudgay, Cox (Rawlings), Reid (Kelly)
Subs: Osborn, Smith, Blake, Glasscoe, Kelly, Otim, Worrall
Scorers: Cox 10', Tudgay 13'

Ilkeston: Peet, Hanson, R.Wilson, L.Wilson, Craven, Maguire, Chettle, Reid, M.Richards, Ricketts, K.Richards
Subs: Kozluk, Cullingworth, Eden, Storey, Gordon, Low, Otobo, Whittaker, Abalimba, Watts
Referee: Jim Thornhill
Attendance: 1,048

Advertisement block