Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Forest v Millwall

28 August 2013

Forest 2-1 Millwall (AET)

Nottingham Forest continued their fine form with a 2-1 extra-time victory over Millwall at The City Ground this evening.

Jamaal Lascelles’ first senior goal won it for The Reds after Liam Feeney had cancelled out Matt Derbyshire’s opener in normal time.

The victory sets up an away tie with Burnley in the third round.

It was all change for Forest as Billy Davies named a completely different eleven to the one which started in Sunday’s 1-1 draw at Watford.

Simon Cox made his return from injury while Simon Gillett and Guy Moussi were handed starts in midfield. Dorus de Vries took Karl Darlow’s place in goal and there was also room for Jamaal Lascelles, who slotted in next to Danny Collins.

Gonzalo Jara Reyes replaced the in-form Eric Lichaj at right back and there was also a full Forest debut for Djamal Abdoun,

The Algerian started brightly in a first-half which saw Forest kick towards The Trent End, but it was the visitors who had the first shot of the game - Martyn Woolford didn’t catch his effort cleanly and it dribbled into de Vries’ arms with a quarter of an hour on the clock.

Perhaps unsurprisingly the game lacked the frenetic tempo of Forest’s recent outings, but the hosts were enjoying the lion’s share of possession.

Matt Derbyshire was crowded out at the near post as Millwall halted a lovely Forest move before de Vries was alert at the other end to tip Scott McDonald’s lofted effort away from goal.

The hosts almost had the lead on 29 minutes - Abdoun’s dangerous cross from the corner of the area was met by the head of Lascelles, but the young defender could only head wide from six yards.

Forest kept up their pressure and Gillett was unlucky to see his powerful left-footed effort deflect off a team mate and out for a goal kick.

Minutes later Paterson embarked on a superb run which was halted illegally on the edge of Millwall’s area. Abdoun fired the subsequent free kick straight into the wall and was booked seconds later for a tug as The Lions looked to break.

There was still time for Nicky Bailey to fire straight at de Vries and for Moussi to receive a harsh yellow card for simulation in the area before Mark Heywood signalled the end of the first half.

No changes were made at the break and within two minutes of the restart Dan Harding had stung the palms of Stephen Bywater from the edge of the area.

But the visitors should have taken the lead minutes later when McDonald shifted on to his right in Forest’s area and slid his effort wide of de Vries’ post.

The Australian will have been kicking himself that little bit more minutes later as he saw Derbyshire pounce to nod home the opener from a corner.

Cox’s was then replaced by Dexter Blackstock before The Lions made a double change - John Marquis for Lee Martin and Andy Keogh for McDonald.

As play resumed, Harding saw his shot from just outside the area sail over before Ishmael Miller was introduced in place of Derbyshire.

The powerful forward was immediately involved - he linked up with Blackstock brilliantly down the right and raced towards goal. Upon entering the box he cut on to his left but he could only scuff his effort straight at Bywater.

Millwall set about trying to generate a response and had two half-chances in quick succession. After Woolford had blazed over 20 yards out, Bailey saw his shot blocked by Lascelles.

Forest responded with two chances of their own. Both fell to Miller - his first, after receiving a cut-back from Abdoun just outside the area, was blocked by a defender, but moments later The Lions had Bywater to thank for keeping them in the game.

Paterson picked out Miller with a superb through ball and the striker raced into the area, only for the former Derby keeper to block his effort at point blank range.

The visitors then made another change as Bailey was replaced by Richard Chaplow, before Greg Halford took the place of Abdoun.

Aside from McDonald’s opportunity earlier in the half, Millwall had been starved of clear-cut opportunities and were almost solely reliant on Woolford’s efforts from outside the area. The former Scunthorpe man tried again with ten minutes to go but his powerful effort flashed wide.

Forest had appeals for a penalty waved away shortly afterwards as Miller went down under a challenge from Mark Beevers in the area, and the striker was involved again moments later - again cutting in from the right only to see his goalbound effort blocked.

It had looked like The Reds were going to see the game out comfortably but they were pegged back with five minutes to go.

De Vries had saved Marquis’ effort after the substitute had wriggled his way into a shooting position, but the ball fell to Feeney who fired through a crowd of bodies and into the net to give the visitors an unlikely equaliser.

Determined to get the job done without extra time, Forest attacked straight from the restart and Miller saw yet another shot blocked in the area.

But in the end, neither team could find a winner in normal time.

Forest started extra time brightly and went close through a Blackstock header from Jara Reyes’ cross within the opening two minutes.

And they did have the breakthrough shortly afterwards as, after Blackstock had knocked a Forest corner back across goal, Lascelles nodded home from a yard out.

Millwall reacted well - Paul Robinson headed just wide, Scott Malone drew a good one-handed save from de Vries and Woolford saw two shots diverted away from danger as the visitors desperately sought a way back in to the game.

And they went close again seven minutes in to the second period as Keogh flashed a shot across goal and just wide of de Vries’ far post.

That was to be their last chance, however, as Forest saw the game out comfortably from there.

Forest: De Vries, Jara, Harding, Lascelles, Collins (c), Paterson, Moussi, Gillett, Abdoun (Halford 77'), Cox (Blackstock 60'), Derbyshire (Miller 66')
Subs not used: Al-Rashidi, Guedioura, Reid, Majewski
Bookings: Abdoun 38', Moussi 42', Lascelles 100'
Scorers: Derbyshire 58', Lascelles 94'

Millwall: Bywater, Robinson (c), Feeney, Bailey (Chaplow 71'), Woolford, Martin (Marquis 62'), Beevers, Smith, Abdou, McDonald (Keogh 62'), Malone
Subs not used: Marshall, Dunne, Henry, Osborne
Booking: Abdou 32'
Scorer: Keogh 85'

Referee: Mark Heywood
Attendance: 12,201 (Away: 173)

Advertisement block