Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

U21: Forest 2-1 Sheffield Wed

8 April 2013

Nottingham Forest’s Under 21s beat Sheffield Wednesday 2-1 at The Nigel Doughty Academy this afternoon.

First-half goals from Marcus Tudgay and Deimantas Petravicius put the game beyond the visitors.

Tudgay was joined by Jonathan Greening and Simon Gillett in playing the full 90 minutes.

The Reds started the game brightly and had the lead on 11 minutes. A high ball fell at Tudgay’s feet in the area and he finished clinically beyond Adam Davies.

It was two ten minutes later. Full-back Peter Gregory showed good composure to shrug off two opponents before offloading to Ben Osborn. The winger led the charge into Wednesday’s half and played it to Tudgay, whose deft first-time flick was perfect for Petravicius. The onrushing Lithuanian set himself before firing sweetly home from just outside the ‘D’.

The visitors offered a response on 28 minutes in the form of a looping Caolan Lavery header. The striker’s effort sailed over Dimitar Evtimov’s crossbar.

Petravicius nearly had his second on 37 minutes but his curling right-footed effort from outside the area clipped the post.

With three minutes to go before the break, the visitors squandered their best chance of the half. Evtimov failed to claim Lavery’s cross but Bastien Hery couldn’t keep his shot down at the back post.

Shortly afterwards, Danny Mayor’s precise effort from 25 yards brought a good save from the Bulgarian stopper.

The Owls finished the half the stronger side and will have been disappointed to have heard the referee’s whistle.

Forest regained their dominance after the break and nearly extended their lead on the hour mark. Danny Elliott, on for Petravicius, raced on to Gillett’s perfectly-weighted ball but couldn’t keep his lob under Adam Davies’ crossbar.

The visitors pulled a goal back on 74 minutes. Elias Moses’ marauding run from right-back took him deep into The Reds’ half. He picked out Matthew Fletcher at the back post and he fired beyond Evtimov.

Three minutes later, the ‘keeper held on to Adam Hinchliffe’s free-kick as The Owls stepped up their chase for an equaliser.

And they twice came close in injury-time - Evtimov had to be on hand to turn Mani Dieseruvwe’s effort around the post before The Reds survived a frantic scramble after the resultant corner to seal a 2-1 victory.

Team: Evtimov, Sebastiao (Ackroyd 46’), Gregory, Gillett, Greening, Lascelles, Regan, Osborn, N’Kusu Landu (Thomas 66’), Tudgay, Petravicius (Elliott 56’)
Subs: Myles, Polimos
Scorers: Tudgay 11', Petravicius 21'

Advertisement block