Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Peterborough 0-1 Forest

6 October 2012

Forest secured their first win since September 1 with a 1-0 win at Peterborough this afternoon.

Sean O'Driscoll made one change to the side which drew 0-0 with Blackburn on Wednesday, with Simon Cox returning from suspension to replace Henri Lansbury. Adelene Guedioura took his place on the bench. 

An assured first half performance began with Lewis McGugan bursting from midfield after 50 seconds, but he miscued his shot high and wide. 

The midfielder went much closer four minutes later. Cox held the ball up on the edge of the area before laying it off to McGugan, whose superb effort curled just wide from 30 yards. 

And it was McGugan again on eight minutes. This time he dispossessed Michael Bostwick and bore down on goal. Cox and Billy Sharp made runs either side of the covering defender, but he opted to shoot and his effort was straight at Olejnik. 

With twelve minutes gone, Greg Halford's long throw caused havoc in the box. The ball eventually fell to Cox in the area but his shot was blocked. 

Peterborough responded with two corners in as many minutes which, although dealt with unconvincingly by Forest, amounted to nothing. 

McGugan had another great chance on 27 minutes. Patient build up by Forest resulted in Sharp holding it up in the box. He layed it off to McGugan, but his left-footed effort went wide. 

McGugan was involved yet again on 31 minutes. He exchanged passes with Cox before his cross was met by the head of Sharp. The striker, who was closely pursued by two Posh defenders, saw his effort loop wide. 

Forest went close again seven minutes later. Reid did well to play in Cox, but his effort on the bounce was diverted just wide of the far post. From the resultant corner, McGugan worked himself into an excellent position but his progress was blocked at the near post. 

Forest made one change at half-time with Daniel Ayala coming off for Brendan Moloney.  Greg Halford took the Spaniard's place alongside Danny Collins and Moloney slotted in at right back.

Peterborough had their best chance of the game on 49 minutes. Andy Reid's flick in midfield evaded McGugan and Bostwick charged into the Reds' box, only for his shot to be well-saved by Camp. 

The resultant corner saw Tyrone Barnett's header saved brilliantly by Camp, before the referee spotted a foul on a Forest defender. Just as Posh might have felt they were getting a foothold in the game, The Reds found the elusive breakthrough in stunning style. Andy Reid carried the ball at least 50 yards down the left before unleashing an incredible left-footed shot which flew across Olejnik and into the top corner. 

Tyrone Barnett should have equalised three minutes later when he drifted away from Harding at the back post, but he could only fire straight at Camp. 

Harding was then nutmegged by Mark Little as the wing back raced towards the byline. He pulled it back for ex-Red Emile Sinclair, but he fired over. 

Shortly afterwards, Jermaine Jenas replaced McGugan.  On 65 minutes, Sharp peeled away at the back post to control Chris Cohen's cross, but Olejnik was equal to his effort. 

Five minutes later, substitute Danny Swanson's long range effort stung the hands of Camp and went out for a corner. Boyd's cross was dangerous but the Forest 'keeper did well to catch it. 

On 72 minutes, The Reds twice went agonisingly close. Jenas' effort was saved brilliantly by Olejnik, and the 'keeper reacted well to deny Cox's header on the rebound. 

Reid's corner minutes later was flicked on at the near post by Halford, and the defender was furious no one was on-hand to turn it home. 

On 77 minutes, Cox ran clear in the right channel but could only fire across goal from a tight angle. 

Five minutes later, Radoslaw Majewski replaced Cox. 

On 84 minutes, Halford felled Barnett as the striker chased a lofted ball into the right channel. Lee Tomlin took a short free kick but Boyd blasted over from 20 yards. 

Four minutes later and it was so nearly 2-0. Reid's skill got him to the byline and he picked-out Majewski, but the Pole's instinctive header cannoned off the post. 

Sharp should have wrapped up the game in the first of four added minutes. Jenas broke after dispossessing Bostwick. He played in Sharp, who escaped the attentions of a defender to set himself up for a one-on-one with Olejnik, but the 'keeper saved well with his feet. 

Peterborough went down the other end and a won a free kick on the edge of the Forest box. Bostwick's effort was straight into the wall and Collins cleared the rebound for a corner. 

Olejnik went up for it but, despite a number of crosses and scrambles, Posh couldn't turn it home and it finished 1-0.

Forest: Camp; Halford, Ayala (Moloney 46'), Collins(c), Harding; Gillett, Cohen, McGugan (Jenas 61'), Reid; Cox (Majewski 82'), Sharp.
Subs not used: Evtimov (GK), Moussi, Guedioura, Coppinger.
Booking: Halford 84'

Peterborough: Olejnik, Alcock, Brisley, Bostwick, Barnett, Boyd, Sinclair (Berahino 63'), Rowe(c) (Tomlin 68'), Ferdinand, Little (Swanson 63'), Knight-Percival.
Subs not used: Day(GK), Zakuani, McCann, Nthle.

Referee: M Haywood
Attendance: 10,469 (Away: 3,262)

Advertisement block