Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Experienced Latics See Off Young Reds

22 October 2012

Nottingham Forest’s Under 21 side went down 5-0 to a strong-looking Wigan at Christopher Park this afternoon.

A hat trick from Mauro Boselli, a free kick from Ben Watson and a late goal from Danny Redmond saw off Gary Brazil’s men. 

Marcus Tudgay and Henri Lansbury played the first 45 minutes as the pair continued their recovery from injury. 

And Tudgay sparked the first chance of the game when he disposessed Fraser Fyvie in the middle. His through ball released Morgan Ferrier but the striker couldn’t find a way past experienced stopper Mike Pollitt. 

Five minutes later, Dimitar Evtimov was tested for the first time. Danny Redmond crossed for Mauro Boselli, but his shot was well-saved. 

On 13 minutes, Callum McManaman, who scored against The Reds in August’s Capital One Cup Second Round defeat, went on an excellent run to evade the attentions of Peter Gregory. He crossed for Tim Chow but he could only fire wide. 

Chow had another chance seven minutes later. He capitalised on a mix-up between Matt Regan and Tudgay but curled his shot over from distance. 

The breakthrough came minutes later. Ryo Miyaichi broke down the right, cut inside and laid it off for Chow who curled in a beautiful cross for Boselli to head home. 

The hosts then had two chances in quick succession. First, Adrian Lopez shot straight at Emitov, then Boselli showed good skill to get one-on-one with the Bulgarian, but he blocked well. 

Just after the half-hour mark, Henri Lansbury saw his free kick go over, before Wigan went down the other end and Miyaichi had a header cleared off the line. 

On 35 minutes Tudgay's brilliant run was halted by Watson just as he was shaping to shoot. Jack Blake’s subsequent free kick hit the bar. 

Four minutes later, Kieron Fenton weaved his way into the box before shooting straight at Pollitt. 

It was 2-0 on 42 minutes. Boselli beat the offside trap to latch on to Danny Redmond’s ball and slot home for his second. 

A carbon copy nearly followed but Miyaichi was denied by Evtimov. 

And the stopper was called into action again moments later, diving well to his right to hang on to McManaman's shot. 

Both sides made changes at half time, with Lansbury and Tudgay coming off for Derrick Otim and David Papworth.  Wigan’s Myaichi was replaced by Rakish Bingham. 

The hosts started the half well - Callum Morris and Bingham both missed early chances, before Ferrier had a shot blocked at the other end. 

The next event of note came on 67 minutes when Ben Watson's free kick went in off the bar. 

Ten minutes later, Ben Osborn rattled the bar with a good long-range effort.  On 80 minutes, Roman Golobart burst forward from defence, exchanged passes with McManaman and shot wide. 

And it was 4-0 moments later when Boselli turned in Morris' cross. 

Otim fired over from distance on 89 minutes but the hosts wrapped it up in soon after when Redmond’s shot deflected in off Regan. 

Forest: Evtimov, Gregory, Fenton, Lansbury (Papworth 45’), Gorman, Regan, Blake, Wallace, Ferrier, Tudgay (Otim 45’), Osborn 
Unused subs: Smith, Ackroyd 

Wigan: Pollitt, Morris (Lynch 84’), Redmond, Chow (McCormack 84’), Golobart, Lopez, Miyaichi (Bingham 45’), Watson, Boselli, Fyvie, McManaman
Unused subs: Hare, Orsula 
Scorers:  Boselli 22', 42', 82', Watson 67', Redmond 90'

Advertisement block