Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Under 21s See Off Tykes

5 November 2012

John Pemberton’s Under 21 side ran out 2-0 winners over Barnsley at The Nigel Doughty Academy this afternoon.

A superb Derrick Otim effort sent The Reds into the break 1-0 up and Matt Regan headed home from a corner to seal the points with ten minutes to go. 

The game started brightly with chances falling for both sides early on - first Danny Rose saw his shot saved before Kieron Wallace's effort was blocked after good work by Morgan Ferrier. 

A spell of pressure followed for the hosts and both David Papworth and Wilfred Gnahore were unfortunate to see their dangerous crosses come to nothing. 

On seven minutes, Gnahore mistimed his header from Ben Osborn's cross and it went harmlessly wide. 

Three minutes later, Ferrier made strides into the right hand channel but saw his low cross deflected over the bar. 

From the resultant corner, Regan saw his header tipped over well by Lukas Lidakevicius. 

On 14 minutes, Forest won possession high up the pitch but Jack Blake's shot took a deflection and ended up in the keeper's arms. 

Two minutes later and it was nearly 1-0. Gnahore cut inside and played in Blake. The ball ended up with Ferrier, whose effort deflected into the path of Otim at the back post. He couldn't turn his effort home from a narrow angle. 

The back line were called into action on 22 minutes, but Matt Regan was on hand to quell the danger at the near post. 

Three minutes later, Reuben Noble-Lazarus's tremendous run was halted and the visitors were unfortunate not to score from the well-worked corner which followed. 

On 28 minutes, Gnahore showed good skill to win a free kick but he could only fire into the wall. 

The deadline was finally broken moments later, however. Derrick Otim did brilliantly to acrobatically dispatch a cross from the right into the top corner. 

Barnsley tried to respond immediately and rattled the bar with a free-kick which looked suspiciously like a cross. 

On 40 minutes, good build up play from Forest resulted in Jack Andrews squaring for Blake, but the midfielder's shot from just outside the 'D' was straight at the keeper. 

Barnsley went down the other end and John Rooney hit the bar from outside the area. 

After a fairly even beginning to the second half, substitute Rhys Oates, on for Mido, found himself one-on-one with Jordan Smith on 62 minutes but the keeper did well to save low down. 

Shortly afterwards, Noble-Lazarus fired high and wide from distance. 

On 68 minutes, Blake curled a free kick just wide and Ferrier was replaced by Ari Kamaneno during the resultant stoppage. 

And the sub almost made an instant impact but could only fire over from inside the area. 

On 72 minutes Ben Osborn's free-kick found its way all the way to the back post where Gnahore saw his shot deflected on to the bar. 

Osborn fired straight at the keeper moments later.  And the winger had another chance on 74 minutes but could only fire straight at the keeper after capitalising on a defensive error. 

Eurico Sebastiao replaced Otim three minutes later. 

With ten minutes to go, Gnahore saw his shot deflect wide of the post, but Matt Regan rose through a crowd of bodies to make it 2-0 from the resultant corner. 

With full-time approaching, Jordan Smith did well to save a deflected effort with his feet at his near post. He was called into action again moments later when he held on to a long range shot to ensure the score ended 2-0. 

Forest: Smith, Papworth, Andrews, Blake, Fenton, Regan, Gnahore, Wallace, Otim, Ferrier, Osborn 
Subs: Sebastiao, Myles, Kamaneno, Ackroyd, Hollingsworth
Scorers: Otim, 30', Regan 80'

Barnsley: Lidakevicius, Patterson, Steade, Scott, Kilburn, Abbott, Rooney, Clark, Rose, Noble-Lazarus, Mido 
Subs: Oates, Alderson, Shilito, Chadderton

Advertisement block