Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Leicester v Forest

10 November 2012

Leicester 2-2 Forest

Forest’s first penalty in 14 months earned them a creditable draw at East Midlands rivals Leicester City this afternoon.

Adlene Guedioura’s 22nd minute strike had cancelled-out Elliott Ward’s earlier own goal, but David Nugent restored the hosts’ lead with a cute lob over Lee Camp on 32 minutes. 

But The Reds levelled on 67 minutes when Simon Cox converted from the spot after Zak Whitbread was adjudged to have fouled Billy Sharp. 

The Reds made one change from the side which drew with Middlesbrough in midweek as Brendan Moloney came in for the injured Dan Harding. 

And Moloney was called into action in the third minute when he blocked Dyer’s effort on the edge of the area. 

Two minutes later, Andy Reid scuffed Forest’s first shot well wide of Kasper Schmeichel’s goal.  And on six minutes The Foxes took the lead. Dyer worked his way into the left-hand side of Forest’s box and his shot deflected off Elliott Ward and beyond Camp. 

On 16 minutes, Jeff Schlupp was punished for a foul on Moloney on the touchline. Chris Cohen’s free-kick was dangerous and Andy King came close to seeing his clearance find the back of his own net. 

Cohen had to be on guard at the other end a minute later to divert Anthony Knockaert’s effort wide of Camp’s post. 

Forest’s next chance came on 20 minutes after Sharp won a free kick 25 yards out. Reid’s effort couldn’t beat the wall, however. 

Two minutes later, Waghorn’s deep free-kick went all the way through to Camp with Wes Morgan agonisingly close to applying a lethal touch. 

But it was Forest who struck next. On 22 minutes, Cox linked up with Cohen and got to the byline before squaring perfectly for Guedioura, who finished well past Schmeichel. 

Leicester went straight down the other end and won a corner. Waghorn’s low delivery caused problems but Forest managed to clear. 

And on 26 minutes, Knockaert again found space down the right but Simon Gillett did well to come across and block his path. 

The game was end-to-end and a minute later Cox worked the ball to Cohen in the box, but the midfielder scuffed wide under pressure from a cluster of defenders. 

But the hosts were back in front on 32 minutes when Knockaert’s scoop found David Nugent, whose exquisite touch deceived Camp and looped into the net. 

Five minutes later Dyer spurned a great chance to make it 3-1. King played him in one-on-one with Camp but his touch was too heavy as he tried to round the Northern Irishman. 

On 40 minutes both Schlupp and Knockaert saw efforts blocked by a line of Reds defenders. 

And two minutes later David Nugent spooned his speculative effort well wide after a good spell of Leicester pressure. 

The Foxes nearly made the perfect start to the half when, on 49 mins, Guedioura inexplicably presented the ball to Nugent. He found Waghorn with time and space in the box and his shot looked destined for the net but Ward got back to make a superb goal line clearance. 

Guedioura made way for Jermaine Jenas four minutes later.  On 56 minutes, Danny Collins’ long ball found Cox, who did well to knock it down for Sharp. The striker decided to take it first time on the bounce, but his left-footed effort went over. 

Camp was forced into a good stop a minute later when Waghorn met Ritchie De Laet’s cross with his head. 

Nugent, who appeared to be holding his neck, was then replaced by Jesse Lingard. 

Cox was next to try his luck but he lashed his left-footed strike high and wide after working himself to the edge of the area. 

Two minutes later, Dyer forced another good save from Camp when he drilled in a low shot from the edge of the area. 

Forest were struggling to find their spark and Waghorn spurned a good chance for the hosts on 65 minutes when he peeled away from Collins, but the striker couldn’t control Danny Drinkwater’s lofted ball. 

But Forest got the break they needed when Whitbread was adjudged to have fouled  Sharp in the area. Simon Cox duly dispatched the spot kick to level the scores. 

And The Foxes nearly retook the lead on 70 minutes when Collins conceded possession cheaply. Knockaert linked up with Waghorn, whose cross sparked havoc in the middle. Dyer’s shot hit Gillett and Reid had to clear off the line with his head. 

On 76 minutes, Waghorn was played in again, this time by Lingard. The striker tried to give him it back but the pair got in a tangle and the ball found its way into Camp’s arms. 

Three minutes later, Reid was replaced by Henri Lansbury. 

With eight minutes to go, Brendan Moloney’s tackle on Schlupp earned the hosts a corner. Ben Marshall’s delivery found Waghorn free at the near post but he headed wide. 

And the striker was involved again moments later when he received the ball in space on the left. Jenas tracked back well to clear his low cross. 

On 86 minutes, Billy Sharp volleyed over with his left foot after a Halford long throw caused panic in the Leicester box. 

During the resultant stoppage, Dexter Blackstock replaced Gillett. 

Three minutes went up on the board and Whitbread duly headed wide a Ben Marshall corner.  And, despite a good spell of Forest pressure after that, the game ended 2-2.

Forest: Camp, Moloney, Ward, Collins (c), Halford, Cohen, Guedioura (Jenas 54'), Gillett (Blackstock 87'), Reid (Lansbury 80'), Sharp, Cox.
Subs not used: Darlow, McGugan, Tudgay, Coppinger.
Scorers: Guedioura 22', Cox (pen) 67'

Leicester: Schmeichel, De Laet, Drinkwater, Morgan (c), Whitbread, King, Dyer, Waghorn, Schlupp, Knockaert (Marshall 77'), Nugent (Lingard 59').
Subs not used: Logan, Danns, James, Moore, Futacs.
Scorers: Ward (og) 6', Nugent 32'

Referee: Anthony Taylor
Attendance: 24,793 (Away: 1,895)

Advertisement block