Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Forest 1-4 Millwall

3 November 2012

Nottingham Forest’s five-match unbeaten run came to an abrupt end as they were beaten by Millwall at The City Ground.

Second half goals by Darius Henderson, Chris Wood and substitute Andy Keogh earned the visitors’ maximum points after Billy Sharp had cancelled out Liam Trotter’s early opener. 

Trotter fired Millwall in front with barely three minutes on the clock but normal service appeared to have been resumed when Sharp levelled 19 minutes later.

But The Lions, who arrived on Trentside unbeaten in six games, had other ideas and experienced front man Henderson edged them in front again on the hour mark. 

Wood effectively settled the contest 14 minutes from time with a deflected shot and Keogh set the seal on a disappointing afternoon for Forest with a fourth six minutes from time.

To make matters worse for The Reds, they also suffered an injury setback with Radi Majewski forced out of the action early on after appearing to take a knock on his right ankle. 

Sean O’Driscoll was forced to make one change to the side that had started at Barnsley a week earlier with Elliott Ward coming into the side for his full debut in place of the suspended Greg Halford.

There was, however, no place in the match-day 18 for Jermaine Jenas after he had missed a week’s training due to a slight injury setback. 

The Reds were slow out of the blocks and after Dan Harding had been shown a second minute yellow card, Millwall went in front a few moments later. 

Trotter seized on a partially cleared free-kick and, after tricking his way past Simon Gillett, curled a shot into Lee Camp’s top left-hand corner. 

Majewski fired into the side-netting from long range as the home-side looked for a quick-fire response. 

That proved to be the Polish international’s last contribution to the game as he limped out of the action a few minutes later to be replaced by Adlene Guedioura. 

Goalkeeper Camp was forced to make a sprawling save at the feet of Darius Henderson after spilling Chris Taylor’s initial shot from just outside the area. 

But it was Forest who bagged the game’s second goal midway through the first half as Sharp took his tally for the campaign to three with a smart finish past David Forde after playing a one-two with Simon Cox that sent him clear. 

Sharp tried to get in on the goal-scoring act again moments later but a superb defensive header from Mark Beevers from Dan Harding’s inviting cross from the left denied him a sight of goal. 

Forest had appeals for a penalty waved away on the stroke of half-time after Sharp had gone down under a challenge from visiting ‘keeper Forde. 

And there was still time before the break for Henderson to squander an opportunity to restore Millwall’s lead as he headed over from Taylor’s cross, while Guedioura was just inches away from edging Forest in front with a long range shot. 

Henderson made amends 15 minutes into the second half as he struck to make it 2-1, heading past Camp from former Forest loanee James Henry’s pin-point free-kick. 

Boss O’Driscoll introduced Dexter Blackstock to the action with 20 minutes remaining, at the expense of Andy Reid, as Forest looked to salvage a point. 

But Wood sparked celebrations among the 707 travelling supporters as he increased his side’s lead with a shot that took a wicked deflection after Henry had caught Forest on the back foot with a speedy counter-attack. 

Millwall capitalised on more sloppy defending to bag a fourth as Keogh converted from close-range from Taylor’s left-wing cross.

Forest: Camp, Moloney, Collins (c), Ward, Harding, Gillett (McGugan 77'), Cohen, Majewski (Guedioura 15'), Reid (Blackstock 70'), Sharp, Cox.
Subs not used: Darlow, Tudgay, Coppinger, Lansbury.
Scorer: Sharp 22'
Booking: Harding 3'

Millwall: Forde, Shittu (c), Trotter, Henderson (Keogh 81'), Lowry, Henry, Beevers, Taylor, Abdou, Wood, Smith.
Subs not used: Taylor, Wright, Feeney, Smith, Osborne, Malone. 
Scorers: Trotter 4', Henderson 60', Wood 76', Keogh 85'
Booking: Abdou 65'

Referee: Scott Mathieson
Attendance: 24,160 (Away: 707)

Advertisement block