Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Previews

Bristol City Preview

16 August 2012

Forest open their nPower Championship campaign at home to Bristol City on Saturday, and both sides will be hoping to show immediate signs of improvement after last term's season of struggle.

City finished one place below The Reds in 2011-12 and will be desperate not to cut their Championship survival so fine this time around- starting with a good result at The City Ground.

On paper, the fixture computer would appear to have been reasonably kind to The Reds as Sean O'Driscoll's men look to begin their season with a win. They will, however, have to get past two familiar faces in the shape of Paul Anderson and Greg Cunningham, both of whom teamed up with Derek McInnes' men this summer.

Cunningham played in both of the fixtures between the two sides last season - a 0-0 draw at The City Ground followed by a 1-0 defeat at Ashton Gate ñ but his allegiances have now switched to a different shade of red and Forest will have to do their best to find a way round him in their quest for three points.

The Reds could hand a debut to striker Simon Cox following his switch from West Brom. However, they will first check on his fitness following his midweek trip to Serbia with the Republic of Ireland. Cox played the full 90 minutes of the goalless draw in Belgrade.

Goalkeeper Lee Camp has also been away on international duty, in Belfast for Northern Ireland's 3-3 draw with Finland.

Sean O'Driscoll has no injury concerns as Chris Cohen and Simon Gillett have resumed training.

The City line-up could include two former Reds making their debuts in Anderson and Cunningham.
Winger Anderson was an unused substitute for City in their Capital One Cup defeat at the hands of Gillingham in midweek, while left back Cunningham was away with the Republic of Irelandís Under 21 side.

Midfielder Neil Kilkenny will also return to the squad after warming the bench for Australia in their 3-1 defeat to Scotland on Wednesday.
Centre back Louis Carey was left out of City's game at Gillingham game so as not to aggravate a hip injury but is expected to be in the running for Saturday's game.

Forest - 19th
Bristol City - 20th

Andrew Cole

The iconic striker ended his career at his home town club, making 10 appearances (without scoring) for The Reds at the beginning of the 2008-09 season.

Having begun his career as a trainee at Arsenal, where he made one substitute appearance, Cole moved on loan to Fulham before securing a permanent switch to this weekend's opponents, Bristol City. The £500,000 fee was the most they had ever paid for a player, and he reimbursed the club with an impressive 25 goals in 49 games.

This tally attracted the attention of Newcastle, who snapped him up for £1.75million in 1993. He enjoyed a prolific spell on Tyneside, scoring 68 goals in 84 games before moving to Manchester United in a £6m deal which saw Keith Gillespie go the other way.

He spent the best part of seven years at Old Trafford, in which time he scored 121 goals and won five Premier League titles, two FA Cups and the Champions League.

Ruud Van Nistelrooy's arrival signalled the end of Cole's United career and he moved to Blackburn for £8million in the December of 2001. He scored the winner in the League Cup final against Spurs and went on to notch 37 goals in a three-and-a-half-year spell at Ewood Park.

Next up was a return to Craven Cottage, where he was the club's top scorer, before he moved to Manchester City the following season.

Portsmouth paid The Blues £500,000 for his services in 2006 but he struggled to break into Harry Redknapp's side. A loan move to Birmingham City followed later in the season.

He then joined Sunderland but found himself out on loan again, this time at Burnley, before his release at the end of the 2007-08 season paved his way back to Nottingham to join Colin Calderwood's side.

Forest wins over Bristol City: 37 (29 League; 4 League Cup; 4 FA Cup)
Bristol City wins over Forest: 14 (14 League)
Draws: 30 (25 League, 1 Cup, 3 League Cup, 1 FA Cup)

Referee: Nigel Miller
Assistant Referees: Jason Tyas and David Benton
Fourth Official: David Plowright

Advertisement block