Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 12:00 (UK)

11 January 2020 Venue Nottingham Forest Training Ground Attendance

Kick off 12:00 (UK)

Nottingham Forest
0 - 2
Wigan Athletic

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Lineup will be displayed here shortly before the game

Advertisement block

Match Reports

Under 18s: Forest 0-2 Wigan

13 January 2020

Ten-man Nottingham Forest Under 18s fell to a 2-0 defeat at the hands of Wigan Athletic on Saturday afternoon at The Nigel Doughty Academy.

Gareth Holmes’ young side found themselves a goal down eight minutes into the second half and any hopes of a comeback were quickly dashed as Malique Spooner saw red. Kyle Joseph sealed his brace for The Latics with just over 10 minutes to go to force The Reds to wait another week for their first win since November.

The Reds dominated the opening minutes of the game and came close twice inside the first two minutes to grab an early lead. Sam Sander’s whipping cross found Detlef Osong inside the area but his effort was well blocked and seconds later William Fankwe saw his shot meet the same fate as the Wigan defence successfully blocked out two Forest efforts.

After a scintillating opening 10 minutes to proceedings the game settled down and the next two real opportunities in front of goal fell to the visitors. Millen Brown dragged his long-range effort just wide of the target before Luke Robinson’s close-range stinging effort was parried away by Michael Statham.

Ethan Dekel-Daks was brought down just outside the area on the 35th minute and stepped over the resulting free-kick aiming to put The Reds ahead, but his strong and dipping effort was well kept out by the Wigan keeper.

Dekel-Daks was involved again for The Reds in front of goal only three minutes later after Silvio Bello played a one-two with the creative number 10. Bello then powered a shot from just outside the box but the right back saw his effort soar over goal.

Forest had the first chance in front of goal in the second half after three minutes as Alex Gibson-Hammond cut back inside the Wigan final third before drilling a hit goalwards but the keeper got down to smother the effort.

But Wigan carved the opening goal of the game on the 53rd minute as Joseph got on the end of a great slicing pass before leaving his marker in the box and successfully lifting his shot over Statham.

Holmes’ side we’re reduced to 10 men in the 54th minute as Spooner was given his marching orders for a late challenge on the half-way line on Jensen Weir.

The Latics doubled their lead and rounded off the afternoon’s scoring on 79 as Joseph netted his second of the afternoon. Mackenzie O’Neil drilled a low cross across the Forest box finding Jospeh who smacked a first-time effort over Statham in goal.

Forest: Statham, Bello, Sanders (c), Back, Spooner, Mutototi, Fankwe (Korpal 68’), Hammond, Osong, Dekel-Daks (McAdam 56’), Gibson-Hammond

Unused subs: Liburd-Hines, Donnelly, Soloman

Booking: Fankwe 59'

Sent off: Spooner 54'

Advertisement block

Advertisement block