Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 19:00 (UK)

09 September 2019 Venue Portman Road Attendance

Kick off 19:00 (UK)

Ipswich Town U23
1 - 3
Nottingham Forest U23

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Lineup will be displayed here shortly before the game

Advertisement block

Match Reports

Under 23s: Ipswich 1-3 Forest

9 September 2019

Nottingham Forest Under 23s retained their place at the top of the Professional Development League table thanks to a 3-1 victory over Ipswich Town.

First-half goals by Yassine En-Neyah and Will Swan were added to by Zach Clough in the second half as The Reds produced a fine away performance to continue their impressive start to the campaign.

It was a fantastic start to the game for the Under 23s as they took the lead inside just four minutes. A delivery from the left wing by Danny Preston was met with a fine header in the area by En-Neyah as the ball nestled into the far corner.

It should have been two for Forest on 11 minutes as Keith Asare played a reverse through pass for Will Swan to latch onto, but the forward skewed his effort wide of the target with just the keeper to beat.

The Reds were in control of the game with just a Ben Folami shot into the side netting to show for the hosts’ efforts, and it was Swan who made no mistake to double the lead on 35 minutes.

Preston’s low delivery from the left deflected into the path of Swan who saw his first effort saved from six yards out but he was on hand to prod home the rebound from a tight angle.

But for all their good play, Forest found themselves pegged back as Ipswich reduced the deficit on the stroke of half-time as Idris El Mizouni fired low into the bottom corner past Georve Shelvey.

Shelvey was not to be beaten less than a minute later though as he tipped El Mizouni’s effort over the bar, before Clough raced clear straight down the other end of the pitch only to curl wide of the target as the first half ended with a flurry of chances.

The second half started in an even manner as the hosts almost levelled the match, but George Heaven volleyed wide of the mark before the two-goal advantage was restored on 67 minutes. A ball in from the left flank evaded everyone in the middle of the area, allowing Zach Clough time and space to calmly convert past the stranded Harry Wright.

That third goal added breathing space for Forest and they were in control of the game, looking to pick off their opponents on the counter attack with Swan coming close to adding to his tally, but they had to settle for three goals as they retained their spot at the top of the league.

Forest: Shelvey, Rama (Spooner 65’), Preston (c), Fornah, Lawrence-Gabriel, Stewart, En-Neyah (Gallacher 63’), Barnes, Swan, Asare, Clough (Sodeinde 87’)

Unused subs: Wright, Back

Goals: En-Neyah 4’, Swan 35’, Clough 67’

Booking: Lawrence-Gabriel 78’

Advertisement block

Advertisement block