Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

29 March 2019 Venue The Impact Arena Attendance

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Nottingham Forest U23
0 - 0
(Pens 0 - 3) FT
Swansea City PL2

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Lineup will be displayed here shortly before the game

Advertisement block

Match Reports

Under 23s: Forest 0-0 Swansea (0-3 on penalties)

29 March 2019

Nottingham Forest Under 23s were knocked out of the Premier League Cup on Friday afternoon after they were beaten on penalties against Swansea City.

A goalless 90 minutes and extra-time saw the game go to penalties and The Reds missed all three of their penalties, while The Swans netted all three.

The first real chance went the way of the visitors. Liam Bossin was forced into a fine save from close-range before the rebound was fired over the target. 

The Reds were then awarded a penalty when Yassine En-Neyah was brought down inside the penalty area. Brennan Johnson stepped up to take it but his effort was saved by Gregor Zabret in the Swansea goal who tipped the ball wide to his left.

Johnson then nearly made amends when he drifted a free-kick just wide of the target as The Reds searched for the opener in a physical encounter. Jamie Ward also came close to unlocking the Swans defence when his dangerous free-kick was poked away for a corner as the two sides went into the break level. 

The Reds had Bossin to thank once again in the second half when he did tremendously well to tip over a long-range strike from Tom Price which was destined for the top corner. Jimmy Gilligan then made his first change when Kieran Hayes replaced Danny Preston. 

Matthew Blake nearly turned the ball into his own net on 63 minutes as he tried to clear a cross but Zabret in the Swansea goal did well to tip it over. Ward was then replaced by Alex Mighten.

Chances were limited throughout the contest with either side failing to create any clear-cut opportunities. Tom Price nearly won it late on for the visitors however, when he tried his luck from range once again, but Bossin did well to tip it over as we headed into extra-time. 

Mighten did come close for The Reds in extra-time when he weaved his way into the area before unleashing a shot that was held by the 'keeper. The Reds' final change saw Jake Taylor replaced by Joe Coveney. 

Swansea substitute Adnan Maric then tried to find an opening but his strike from distance was pushed away by Bossin, as the game was decided by penalties.

The Swans scored all three of their penalties with Forest missing all three, seeing them knocked out of the Premier League Cup.

Words by Harry Webster and images by Callum Jordan.

Forest: Bossin, Spooner, Preston (Hayes 50'), Richardson, Stewart, Bridcutt (c), Taylor (Coveney 105'), Johnson, En-Neyah, Ward (Mighten 66'), Appiah

Subs not used: Wright, Megaritis

Yellows: Stewart 87'

Advertisement block

Advertisement block