Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 13:00 (UK)

28 February 2019 Venue The Impact Arena Attendance

Kick off 13:00 (UK)

Nottingham Forest U23
3 - 1
Leicester City PL2

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Lineup will be displayed here shortly before the game

Advertisement block

Match Previews

Match preview: Under 23s vs Leicester City

28 February 2019

Nottingham Forest Under 23s welcome East Midlands rivals Leicester City to the Impact Arena on Thursday afternoon in their final Premier League Cup group game (kick-off 1pm).

The Reds’ penultimate group game against Norwich City finished 3-3 at the Impact on Monday afternoon, as Joe Coveney fired in an equaliser in added time to maintain their unbeaten record.

Jimmy Gilligan’s side have already secured top spot in their group, and The Foxes will also go through to the knock-out stages should they avoid a heavy defeat tomorrow.

Admission prices are £4 for adults, £2 for concessions.

There will be live updates via the Nottingham Forest Academy Twitter account and a match report at the full-time whistle at

Advertisement block

Sky Bet Widget

Match Reports

Under 23s: Forest 3-1 Leicester

1 March 2019

Nottingham Forest Under 23s preserved their unbeaten record in the Premier League Cup with a convincing 3-1 win over Leicester City on Thursday afternoon.

A goal from Jamie Ward and a brace from Brennan Johnson cancelled out Admiral Muskwe’s opener as Forest secured another three points on a wet afternoon at the Impact Arena.

The Reds nearly made the perfect start when Jake Taylor was found in space on the edge of the area, but his volley hit the post, moments before Richardson’s low cross found En-Neyah in the centre, who failed to connect with it properly, allowing Leicester to clear.

Jimmy Gilligan was forced into an early change when the injured Jordan Lawrence-Gabriel was replaced by Joe Coveney, moments before Leicester took the lead.  A low cross was whipped in from the right and Admiral Muskwe got ahead of his man and fired it into the net.

The Reds could only create half chances and one of those came from Ward, who lashed an effort over the bar after some good work from Appiah. But The Reds did equalise on the brink of half-time.

Johnson was tripped inside the area and the referee pointed to the spot. He then converted his own penalty, coolly slotting it away to bring his side level going into the break.

The Reds edged into the lead soon after the interval when Appiah raced forward before finding Ward with a terrific pass. The latter got the ball out of his feet and fired the ball into the bottom left-hand corner.

Ward almost became provider soon after when he drilled in a low cross which was nearly turned into his own net by the Leicester defender.

Forest battled well however as The Foxes tried to find a way back into the game, with both Ward and Liam Bridcutt being shown a yellow card for fouls. The Reds then made their second change as Kieran Hayes replaced Ward, before Victor Sodeinde came on to replace Appiah.

Johnson then grabbed his second and Forest’s third on 87 minutes when he broke forward and slotted the ball past the ‘keeper and into the net to secure three points for Jimmy Gilligan’s side.

Words by Harry Webster and images by Joseph Raynor/Nottingham Post.

Forest: Wright, Richardson, Spooner, Bridcutt, Lawrence-Gabriel (Coveney 9’), Stewart, Johnson, Taylor, En-Neyah, Appiah (Sodeinde 86’), Ward (Hayes 79’)

Subs not used: Bossin, Fornah

Goals: Johnson (pen) 45’, 87’, Ward 51’

Attendance: 94

Advertisement block

Advertisement block