Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 07 Apr 12 at 19:35 PM

Nottingham Fores 0 v 1 Bristol City

Nottingham Forest slipped to a narrow defeat at the hands of Bristol City, despite dominating the game at The City Ground.

The game was settled by Chris Woods' spot-kick early in the second half after Lee Camp had brought down Jon Stead in the box.

The goal was one of just two shots on target for the visitors, but Forest couldn't turn their domination into goals.

The home side enjoyed large periods of possession in the first half but couldn't make their pressure count.

The first chance of the game came on six minutes, as Garath McCleary combined with Radoslaw Majewski down the right flank, but his whipped cross was cut out by Andrew Amougou as Dexter Blackstock lurked behind him.

The visitors struggled to get into the game in the early stages, with their best chance coming on 11 minutes, but Hogan Ephraim's free-kick evaded everyone as the ball sailed over the six-yard box.

Forest looked to break the deadlock and created a host of opportunities following this, the first through McCleary, who received the ball after Jamie McAllister slipped. The recently named Championship Player of the Month advanced with the ball, but his on-target shot was blocked for a corner.

Dexter Blackstock had his first chance of the game on 23 minutes, but his looping header from Andy Reid's cross went a foot over the bar.

Bristol City looked to relieve some of the pressure in their half, and came close to an opening goal on 34 minutes, after a corner from McAllister was met at the back post by Martyn Woolford, but his cross-goal header was acrobatically cleared by Luke Chambers.

Only seconds following this Chris Wood received the ball inside the Forest half, but was wasteful as he drove a shot from distance well wide of Lee Camp's left post.

However it was Forest who ended the first half the stronger, with plenty of openings. On 36 minutes a chipped ball over the right flank from Adlene Guedioura found Chris Gunter, and his cross flashed across the goalmouth and out of play.

Two minutes following this a neat one-two on the edge of box from Reid and Blackstock saw Reid smashing a shot towards the near post, but it was well saved by City keeper Dean Gerken.

The home side finished the half on top, with Majewski firing a shot well over on 39 minutes, before setting up Guedioura 3 minutes later, but he couldn't direct his shot on target.

The second half started in the same fashion as the first ended, with Forest dominating possession, and Blackstock again came close with a header that lacked power ending up on the roof of the net.

On 50 minutes Reid was fouled on the edge of the area, and he picked himself up before shooting a low around the wall, but it was parried away by Gerken.

The visitors made a change on 53 minutes, with Albert Adomah coming on for Ephraim, and the substitution immediately reaped a reward.

As the ball fell to right-back Richard Foster, his cross-cum-shot sailed over Lee Camp and ricocheted off the crossbar - the ball fell to Jon Stead, and as he controlled the ball, Camp raced out of his goal and hauled him down for a penalty. Chris Wood stepped up and placed the ball into the bottom right corner beyond Camp.

The surprise opener from the visitors did nothing to quell the Forest threat, and Gerken had to be at his best to pull off a fantastic save from Joel Lynch's header from a Reid free-kick.

As Forest searched for an equaliser Majewski enjoyed a couple of opportunities, the first on 63 minutes, having been played in by Guedioura, his low shot rippled the near-post side netting.

The Pole could only find the side-netting again seven minutes later, this time having caught a deflection after receiving the ball at the back post from a corner.

The home side kept pressing but were matched by a stern City defence, and as the game wore on both Reid and McCleary had shots from distance go wide.

On 85 minutes Marcus Tudgay replaced Guy Moussi, and moments later Tudgay came close to getting on the scoresheet, rising high from a Reid corner, but his header was saved again by Gerken.

As four minutes injury-time were shown, City thought they had a second, after Wood's shot was parried by Camp, Martyn Woolford turned it in, but it was ruled out for offside.

As Forest broke up the other end, a free-kick was awarded, and Luke Chambers rose to meet Reid's cross, it was again thwarted by Gerken.

That was the last action of the game as Bristol City left the City Ground with a vital three points in their hunt for survival.

Camp, Gunter, Chambers(C), Lynch, Cunningham, McCleary, Guedioura, Moussi(Tudgay 86min), Reid, Majewski, Blackstock.
Subs not used: Smith(GK), Wootton, Higginbotham, Elokobi,
Bookings: Camp 54min, Cunningham 73min

Bristol City: Gerken, Foster, Amougou, Carey(C), McAllister, Ephraim(Adomah 53min) Skuse, Cisse, Woolford, Stead 67min)(Kilkenny, Wood.
Subs not used: James(GK), Pitman, Edwards.
Scorer: Wood pen 55min
Bookings: Gerken 60min

Referee: R. Madley
Attendance: 22,851 Away attn:354

    Latest Match Reports