Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 23 Aug 11 at 21:41 PM

Wycombe Wanderers 1 v 4 Nottingham Fores

Forest go through to the next round of the Carling Cup after a convincing win against Wycombe. Forest controlled and dominated the game from start to finish and it was a solid team performance.

It was a confident start for Forest who were already two goals up after seven minutes and it could easily have been more in the first 45 minutes.

There were two more to come for the Championship side in the second half, with Wycombe getting one back in between, from the penalty spot.

But with Wycombe having no shots on target in open play, it was an easy win for Forest.

Forest threatened from the start after a great run forward by Radi Majewski who picked out Chris Cohen. He sent an early ball in right across the face of goal but Ishmael Miller couldn't quite reach to get on the end of it.

But Miller made no mistake a minute later after a perfect through ball by Majewski to the Forest striker who ran onto the ball and sent it wide of the Wycombe keeper and into the back of the net.

And Forest had a penalty in the 7th minute when a good through ball by Jonathan Greening saw Miller threaten again, making a great run and shrugging off the last man before being brought down by the keeper.

Lewis McGugan stepped up to score his second penalty of the season, smashing the ball in and although Nikki Bull got a hand to it he wasn't able to stop the ball finding the target.

Forest continued to threaten when Chris Gunter found himself in plenty of space and cut the ball out to Miller. His shot was blocked, but the ball came back out to Lewis McGugan who had his shot parried away by Bull.

Bull again stopped Forest from increasing their lead when McGugan sent a free kick thundering towards the keeper, who blocked the ball with his body.

During a quiet spell in the game the Forest fans were kept amused by a number of birds who, a number of times, flew across the pitch and swooped at the travelling supporters.

Forest had another opportunity to get the third goal after a good ball from Majewski to Miller down the left. Miller cut back in and fired in a shot which Bull did well to parry away.

A great flick forward by Miller gave Findley another chance when he made the run forward onto the ball. He was put under pressure by Dave Winfield and while he Miller managed to hold off the challenge he lofted the ball towards goal but it went just over.

Four minutes before the break, Joel Lynch earned Forest a free kick, wide on the left and McGugan came very close to finding the target but the ball was just inches over the bar.

Forest looked sharp in the second half but when Findley sent Miller racing through on goal, the assistant referee puts his flag up for offside.

And Joel Lynch made a great run down the left and put in an excellent cross just ahead of Miller, but he wasn't able to get on the end of it.

Wycombe had their first shot on target when Elliot Benyon's shot took a deflection and with lee Camp beaten, it hit the inside of the post and came back out.

Miller seemed to be carrying a knock after a tackle from Winfield although he didn't need treatment but was substituted, replaced by Joe Garner.

Forest got their third goal just after the hour mark when Majewski fed the ball through to Findley, who got away from two players and curled a left-footer into the corner of the net from 16 yards out.

Wycombe were awarded a penalty when Stuart Lewis went down under a slight tug from Lynch and Benyon sent Camp the wrong way, shooting low into the corner to give them a goal back.

After a double substitution by Wycombe, Forest were quickly back on the attack with McGugan sending a great ball in to Majewski whose effort saw Bull diving to his right to parry the ball, but only as far as McGugan whose shot was put round for a corner. And from the corner, Garner's header was cleared by the keeper.

There was loud applause for Findley when he was replaced by Marcus Tudgay with 20 minutes remaining.

Forest's fourth goal came when Garner beat Winfield as he ran into the penalty area where he spotted Majewski in a better position and squared the ball to the midfielder who tapped the ball over the line.

There was more applause for McGugan from the travelling supporters when he came off, to be replaced by 19-year old Kieron Freeman, making his first team debut.

And he was involved in a good move from Forest with Freeman and Majewski exchanging passes and Freeman forced a good save from Bull when he got a shot in from the left side of the box.

And Freeman had a chance of his first Forest goal in the 90th minute, when Gunter pulled the ball back for him, but the young defender slipped at the vital moment and the chance escaped him.

Forest: Camp, Lynch, Morgan, Chambers(C), Gunter, Majewski, Greening, Cohen, McGugan(Freeman 78min), Findley(Tudgay 71min), Miller(Garner 61min)
Subs not used: Smith, Moloney, Boateng, McGoldrick
Scorers: Miller 3min, McGugan pen 7min, Findley 62min, Majewski 76min

Wycombe: Bull, McCoy, Foster, Johnson, Winfield, Betsy, Lewis(Harris 68min) Bloomfield, Grant(Ibe 68min), Benyon, Rendell(Harding 45min HT)
Subs not used: Ingram, Sandell, Tunnicliffe, Beavon,
Bookings: Bull 6min, McCoy 41min
Scorer: Benyon pen 66min

Referee: D McDermid
Attendance: 2,866

    Latest Match Reports