Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 21 Apr 12 at 16:55 PM

Hull City 2 v 1 Nottingham Forest

Nottingham Forest's last away game of the season ended in defeat, in spite of them playing the better football for long periods as well as creating more chances.

With neither side having anything to play for, it was an uneventful first half, with Forest having more of the chances, which were few and far between.

Forest had all the chances at the start of the second half but it was the home side who took the lead when the ball went in off Chris Gunter.

Hull doubled their lead from the penalty spot but Forest got a late consolation goal in stoppage time.

It was a lively start but, as players from both sides started to give the ball away too often, neither team created anything in the opening stages of the game.

Forest missed an opportunity to take the lead 12 minutes in when Andy Reid did well to get away from three players down the left before crossing to Paul Anderson as he came in at the far post but his diving header missed the target.

Richard Garcia had a go for the home side with a shot from 30 yards out which was effectively deflected by Adlene Guedioura and comfortably held by Lee Camp.

Good build-up play from Forest down the left produced a rare chance when Greg Cunningham got the cross in which was headed away well, but only as far as Reid, whose shot was deflected out for a corner.

The corner was well punched away by Vito Mannone and Lewis McGugan tried a shot from outside the box which the keeper did well to get down to.

Forest were on the attack again when Gunter cut in from the right and found himself in plenty of space but his shot was deflected wide of the goal.

There was an unexpected substitution for Forest three minutes from half time when Marcus Tudgay signalled that he had picked up a knock and went off clutching his ribs, to be replaced by Robbie Findley.

There were a couple of late chances for the home site, the first from a good ball in from Joshua King to Matt Fryatt as he ran into the box but it was a bit long and Gunter got back to clear and then Corry Evans fired a volley over the bar from 25 yards.

Forest started the second half well and had the first chance following a great run from Cunningham who looked up and picked out Radi Majewski on the edge of the penalty area, but his shot was too weak to beat Mannone.

A great ball by Findley created another chance when he held the ball up before playing it through to Anderson but as he ran onto the ball Mannone was quickly off his line to get there first.

Another opportunity was missed after a good run by Reid to get away from his man and the ball fell for Majewski to get a shot in but Mannone got down to his left but it was an easy save to make.

Hull took the lead just before the hour mark, against the run of play, when Liam Rosenior got forward in space down the right and shot from 25 yards out. The ball hit Gunter who could do to get out of the way and it went in off him and into the back of the net for an own goal.

Forest missed getting an equalizer when Gunter played a low ball into the box and it rolled into the path of Anderson who sent it across the face of goal and wide.

It was Anderson's last involvement in the game as he was replaced by Jonathan Greening with 15 minutes remaining.

Forest continued to put pressure on the Hull goal but they had shots from McGugan and Reid blocked.

Hull were awarded a penalty when Luke Chambers bundled into the back of James Chester when they both jumped for a ball that was going out anyway.

Fryatt blasted the ball low, straight down the middle and into the back of the net with eight minutes to go.

Forest got the consolation goal they deserved when Gunter sent the ball back to Majewski who scooped it into the roof of the net from ten yards out.

Nottingham Forest: Camp, Chambers(C), Cunningham, Elokobi, Gunter, Guedioura, McGugan, Anderson(Greening 74min), Majewski, Reid, Tudgay(Findley 42min)
Subs not used: Smith, Moloney, Wootton,
Bookings: Reid 61min
Scorer: Majewski 90+3min

Hull City: Hull: Mannone, Rosenior, Chester, Cooper, Dawson(C), Koren(King 35min), Evans, McKenna, Garcia, Stewart(Brady 56min), Fryatt
Subs not used: Oxley, Bradley, Olofinjana
Bookings: Rosenior 70min, Evans 74min
Scorer: Gunter og 58min, Fryatt pen 82min

Referee: Geoff Eltringham
Attendance: 20,786

    Latest Match Reports