Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 17 Apr 12 at 21:56 PM

Reading 1 v 0 Nottingham Forest

Nottingham Forest secured their place in the Championship for next season and a late goal assured that Reading will be playing in the Premiership.

But Forest will be disappointed not to have come away from the game with at least a point after an excellent performance against the promotion winning side.

Forest had the better chances in the first half and stifled Reading in their attempts to get forward until late in the half when the home side finally put some pressure on the Forest goal.

It was a lively battle in the second half with both sides finding themselves frustrated in front of goal but with the late goal Reading finally secured the three points.

Nice build-up play by Forest in the opening minutes saw Chris Gunter and Radi Majewski getting the ball forward for Lewis McGugan who shot at an angle through the six-yard box but just wide of the target.

Reading had some good possession but it was Forest who looked good going forward again when McGugan skipped past two players and played in a superb ball for Gunter but he was just offside.

Reading had the goal in the back of the net after 20 minutes but it didn't count as Camp was clearly bundled over before Jason Roberts put the ball into an empty net.

A powerful shot by Adlene Guedioura from 25 yards tested Adam Federici who was unable to keep hold of the ball and it came out to Dexter Blackstock, but he was offside.

A good ball by McGugan to Blackstock gave the Forest striker a chance as he turned away from his man and sent the ball towards the far post, but there wasn't a lot of power on the ball and it was easy for Federici to dive away to his left and make the save.

Reading turned up the pressure towards the end of the half and Camp did well to make a save, diving to his left to get both fists to the ball to clear Mikele Leigertwood's shot from outside the box.

Forest looked strong in defence as they continued to frustrate Reading and the first half finished goalless.

A chance for Reading early in the second half saw Jimmy Kebe cross to Noel Hunt who headed wide, under no challenge, from ten yards out.

A lovely ball in from Ian Harte produced another chance for the home side but a great header away from George Elokobi came back off Hunt and out for a goal kick.

And Elokobi was showing his skill at the other end when he got on the end of a corner and his overhead volley from 12 yards out whizzed just wide of the left hand post.

There was a good period of pressure by Forest, but Reading showed that they could defend in numbers and the visitors were unable to get a shot on target.

A great break by Reading and a mistake by Joel Lynch gifted super-sub Adam Le Fondre a chance when, one on one with Camp, he lifted the ball over the Forest keeper and it drifted just wide.

More pressure from the home side ended when Shaun Cummings, under attach from Guedioura and Gunter, sent the ball well wide.

Forest were back on the attack and came close to getting the elusive winner when McGugan's ball from the corner came in to Elokobi whose effort hit the bar and went out to safety.

Guedioura and McGugan combined well to fashion a chance but the final ball went over the bar.

Reading finally broke the deadlock when a good cross in from the left evaded everyone and fell for Leigertwood who stabbed the ball in from three yards out. Camp and Guedioura clearly felt there was a foul and chased after the referee but his reaction was to wave a yellow card.

With the news that the goal secured Reading a place in the Premiership next season the volume around the Madejski Stadium rose as their supporters began to celebrate.

Radi Majewski tried to ruin the party and get Forest back level but shot over from the edge of the box.

Steve Cotterill reacted to the goal by making a triple substitution with Andy Reid, Marcus Tudgay and Jonathan Greening coming on, replacing Wootton, Majewski and McGugan.

Forest came close to a late equalizer when a great ball in by Reid found Tudgay whose header was cleared off the line by Alex Pearce.

The final whistle was a signal for thousands of Reading fans invaded the pitch as Gunter and Elokobi bravely fought their way through to applaud the visiting supporters.

Nottingham Forest:Camp, Wootton(Reid 85min), Chambers(C), Lynch, Elokobi, Gunter, Guedioura, McGugan(Greening, 85min), Anderson, Majewski(Tudgay 85min), Blackstock
Subs not used: Smith, Cunningham,
Bookings: Lynch 61min, Wootton 76min, Guedioura 81min

Reading: Federici, Pearce, Gorkss, Harte, Cummings, Leigertwood, McAnuff (C), Mullins, Kebe, Hunt(Le Fondre 58min), Roberts
Subs not used: McCarthy, Gunnarsson, Church, Afobe
Bookings: Kebe 74min
Scorer: Leigertwood 81min

Referee: Gavin Ward, Surrey.
Attendance: 22,899 Away attn: 1,181

    Latest Match Reports