Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 14 Apr 12 at 17:00 PM

Nottingham Forest 0 v 0 Blackpool

In spite of having the majority of the chances Forest couldn't fashion a goal, but picked up a point to move a step further towards safety.

With both sides playing for a win it was a lively first half and while Forest created more chances, Blackpool looked dangerous on the break.

There were less chances for Forest in the second half and they lost their momentum a bit as Blackpool threatened more towards the end of the game.

Good work by Forest in midfield created a chance in the second minute with a lovely ball by Andy Ried in to Dexter Blackstock as he ran to the edge of the box but he rushed his shot and sent the ball high over the crossbar.

Blackpool also had early chances, the first when Adlene Guedioura gave the ball away, but Luke Chambers and Lee Camp did enough to prevent Stephen Dobbie from getting a shot in.

And Matt Phillips dragged the ball wide when he cut in from the left to shoot from 25 yards.

Radi Majewski was gifted a chance when Alex Baptiste presented him with the ball, which the Forest player sent flying towards goal but straight at Matt Gilks.

Forest missed a chance when Baptiste was turned by Blackstock but, as he tried to run towards the box, he lost his balance and under pressure from Baptiste sent the ball high over the bar.

After a period of play which looked busy in midfield but lacking in chances for either side, Forest cam close from the corner when Reid's ball in found Paul Anderson whose effort had Gilks diving tohis left to make the save.

Blackpool looked dangerous on the break with Dobbie showing his skill, getting away from Gunter and havinghis first shot saved before having another try but, underpressure from Chambers, the ball went behind for a goal kick.

Forest missed a chance three minutes from time following a good break down the left when Greg Cunningham got through to the edge of the box. The ball came back out off Gilks and only just missed Anderson at the back post.

And less than a minute later a great point blank save by Gilks stopped Blackstock's powerful header from finding the back of the net.

There was worry for Blackpool, who were without a keeper on the bench, when Gilks picked up an injury just before stoppage time but he managed to last through until the break to receive treatment.

Just before the half time whistle Cunningham got away down the left and crossed to Blackstock who was unable to get his header on target and the ball went wide.

Early pressure from Forestat the start of the second half saw them win two cornersin quick succession after Majewski and then Guedioura both tried to find the target.

Blackpool also came close from the corner when Dobbie's cross picked out Thomas Ince at the back post whoheaded towards goal. Camp managed to push the ball wide for another Blackpool corneer which Chambers headed away.

The home crowd wanted a penalty when Chris Gunter went down rather easily under a challenge by Phillips but the referee waved play on.

A great ball from McGugan played Blackstock in behind the Blackpool defence, but he was unable to get the ball round Gilks, who made the save.

After a good period of pressure from Forest, Blackpool made a break, with Dobbie threatening again, but shooting straight at Camp.

There was a scare for Forest when Camp initially punched the ball clear, but it came back to Gary Taylor-Fletcher who sent it across the face of goal and just wide.

As Blackpool continued to threaten Forest made their first substitution, with Reid receiving loud applause from around the ground as he made way for George Elokobi.

With nine minutes remaining Jonathan Greening replaced McGugan.

Forest continued to try and make the breakthrough and as Blackstock tried to get through under pressure from two on the left, Cunningham managed to get the ball away and into the box but he was unable to beat Gilks.

Majewski became the last Forest player to be substituted, replaced by Marcus Tudgay with two minutes of normal time remaining.

Joel Lynch missed a chance to secure a stoppage time lead for Forest after doing all the hard work, chesting the ball down and beating two Blackpool players, but then putting too much power on the ball and sending it wide.

And Blackpool wasted two chances from free kicks in stoppage time, sending both efforts wide.

Nottingham Forest:Camp, Gunter, Chambers(C), Lynch, Cunningham, Anderson, Guedioura, McGugan(Greening, 81min), Reid(Elokobi 79min), Majewski(Tudgay 89min), Blackstock
Subs not used: Smith, Wootton,

Blackpool: Gilks, Eardley, Evatt, Dobbie(Ormerod, 89min), Taylor-Fletcher, Baptiste, Ferguson(C), Phillips, Martinez, Harris(Crainey70min), Ince(Lualua 90min)
Subs not used: Sylvestre, Dicko,
Bookings: Harris 68min

Referee: Patrick Miller, Bedfordshire
Attendance: 24,078 Away attn: 1,490

    Latest Match Reports