Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 06 Mar 12 at 21:42 PM

Nottingham Forest 1 v 2 Doncaster Rovers

Nottingham Forest drop back to within three points of the relegation zone after a lacklustre performance against Doncaster.

Forest didn't get going at all in the first half and were punished just before the break when an equally poor Doncaster took the lead.

Doncaster doubled their lead just two minutes into the second half and then defended their lead effectively until Forest got one back. But Doncaster continued to defend in numbers and Forest were unable to find the equalizer.
In spite of Doncaster having most of the possession it was Forest who had the early chances, one from Robbie Findley which went wide and a long-range shot from Garath McCleary, whose weak shot was easy for Carl Ikeme to gather.

But the pace of the game was slow and tentative for the first 20 minutes until a brief blast of speed from Dexter Blacstock who turned to get away from his man and ran across the penalty area before sending the ball straight at the keeper.

And McCleary made a good run forward before blasting the ball goalwards from 25 yards out but just wide of the bottom right corner.

But the game soon went quiet again and it was the 35th minute before Doncaster produced anything like a chance when Frederic Piquionne looked to shoot, but Guy Moussi was on hand to clear the danger.

Doncaster took the lead a minute before stoppage time when Piquionne, who only joined the club on loan in the morning, unleashed the ball from 30 yards out and sent it flying past Lee Camp.

Andy Reid replaced Scott Wootton at the break, with Chris Gunter moving back into defence.

But Forest had conceded a second goal within two minutes of coming on when a defensive mix-up allowed El-Hadji Diouf to get away down the right and cross it to the back post where a completely unmarked Kyle Bennett side-footed the ball in from close range.

And Bennett came close to a second when his shot forced Camp to scramble to his right to put the ball off the post to stop it going in.

An injury to George Elokobi forced Forest to make their second substitution and he was replaced by Greg Cunningham.

Forest tried to create something but with Doncaster defending in numbers they were met with a wall of blue each time they attacked the Trent End.

Forest finally beat the Doncaster defence following a great ball forward by Guedioura who played the ball to Gunter down the right. He crossed it back to Blackstock who took his time before sending the ball high into the back of the net.

Lewis McGugan became the final Forest substitute when he came on for Findley, to play just behind Blackstock, with 15 minutes to go.

Forest came close to an equaliser when McCleary cut in from the left and sent the ball in through a crowd of bodies where Ikeme parried it before grabbing the ball just before Guedioura could get to it.

And they kept pushing forward but there was no way through the Doncaster defence.

Forest: Camp, Wootton(Reid 45minHT), Chambers(c), Lynch, Elokobi(Cunningham 58min), Gunter, Guedioura, Moussi, McCleary, Blackstock, Findley(McGugan 74min).
Subs not used:Smith, Greening,
Scorer: Blackstock 63 min

Doncaster: Ikeme, Martis, Diouf(c)(Oster 72min), Spurr(Hird 50min), Barnes, Gillett, Piquionne(Bagayoko 64min), Coppinger, Chimbonda, Beye, Bennett.
Subs not used: Hayter, Robert,
Bookings: Piquionne 32min, Chimbonda 37min, Beye 76min
Scorers: Piquionne 44min, Bennett 47min

Referee: Mr M. Jones
Attendance: 18,521 Away attn: 711

    Latest Match Reports