Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 21 Jan 12 at 17:04 PM

West Ham United 2 v 1 Nottingham Forest

An improved performance by Nottingham Forest was not enough to give them a point, although they did end their goal drought seconds from the final whistle.

After producing a good first half performance in which Forest had chances to score, a shocking decision gave West Ham a penalty in stoppage time.

West Ham had most of the chances in the second half and doubled their lead following a second penalty for hand ball, this time justifiably. Forest never looked like getting back into the game and their stoppage time goal was just too late.

West Ham gave Forest an early scare when Jonathan Greening misjudged a diagonal ball from Mark Noble, allowing Julien Faubert to get behind him but Guy Moussi was able to clear his cross.

Forest caught West Ham napping from the corner, with great delivery from Lewis McGugan to the corner of the six-yard box where Marcus Tudgay side-footed over the crossbar from 10 yards out.

The home side threatened again after McGugan lost the ball in midfield and it was played out to the left where George McCartney sent the ball zooming across the six-yard line, but nbody could get on the end of it and it ran out the other side.

Forest missed another chance after a good run from Garath McCleary and his low cross evaded everyone but McGugan, who sent the ball over from 12 yards out.

And they continued to impress with good build-up play which resulted in McCleary getting past his man and pulling the ball back to Tudgay, whose effort was deflected over the crossbar by Winston Reid.

There was an early substitution for Forest after Greg Cunningham struggled to continue, appearing to have picked up an injury. Paul Anderson came on and Chris Gunter moved to left back.

Good defending by West Ham prevented Forest from taking the lead after a great run by McGugan who ran to the goal-line and sent the ball back to Anderson who was stopped from getting a shot in from two yards out by a challenge from Faubert.

West Ham came close when Joel Lynch headed the ball away and it fell for Jack Collison and Camp did well to turn his effort behind for a corner.

West Ham were controversially awarded a penalty in stoppage time after Collison crossed and the ball hit the back of Moussi's arm when he was clearly turned away. Noble blasted the ball into the top corner to give West Ham a half-time lead.

It was a quiet but positive start to the second half for forest whose first chance came following a good run by McCleary whose cross was put out for a corner. And from McGugan's corner, the ball found Tudgay, whose looping header went just over the bar.

And Forest came close after a powerful run by Gunter whose shot produced a great save from Robert Green who stopped the ball with his legs.

Then they were denied by the post when McGugan's corner went right through the six-yard box, hit the far post and went out.

An attacking substitution from Forest saw Dexter Blackstock replace Jonathan Greening, but it was the home side who went on the attack.

First they were denied when Collison was allowed to run into the penalty area with only Camp to beat and the Forest keeper did well to tip the ball over.

With West Ham putting the pressure on, there was another spectacular one-handed save from Camp, diving to his left to stop substitute Henri Lansbury from finding the target.

They were awarded a second penalty for hand ball by Gunter after Sam Baldock's effort was closed down by Camp. This time Noble sent Camp the wrong way and put the ball low into the corner.

Noble was looking for a hat-trick when he stole the ball from between two Forest players but shot just wide of the post.

Ishmael Miller made his return from injury in the 73rd minute, replacing Harewood, who received a warm reception from the home fans when he left the pitch.

Another good save from Camp prevented West Ham from increasing their lead, diving to his left to block Baldock's effort. The ball came back out to Collison who completely miss-hit and the ball went wide.

West Ham missed another chance from a good cross by Faubert when Carlton Cole got away from Wes Morgan and nodded the ball down but it went past Camp's right-hand post.

Forest got a consolation goal late in stoppage time when McGugan sent the ball flying past Green from 25 yards out.

Nottingham Forest: Camp (C), Gunter, Morgan, Lynch, Cunningham(Anderson 23min), McCleary, Moussi, Greening(Blackstock 56min), McGugan, Harewood(Miller 73min), Tudgay
Subs not used: Darlow, Reid,
Bookings: Moussi 85min
Scorer: McGugan 90+3min

West Ham United: Green, Fauber, Tomkins, Reid, McCartney, Diop(Lansbury 45min), Noble, Collison. Nolan, Cole(Piquionne
86min), Baldock(Hall 79min)
Subs not used: Faye, Carew,
Bookings: Cole 8min
Scorer: Noble 45+2min pen, 62min pen

Referee: Tony Bates
Attendance: 31,718

    Latest Match Reports