Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Mon 02 Jan 12 at 16:56 PM

Ipswich Town 1 v 3 Nottingham Forest

Forest start the new year with three goals and three points after doing the double over Ipswich in a thoroughly entertaining game.

The last goal scored by Forest back in November was by Marcus Tudgay, against Ipswich. And just five minutes into today's game it was Tudgay again who finally broke Forest's 635 minute goal drought.

Some good end-to-end football from both teams resulted in a great first half and both teams had good chances to score, but poor defending from Ipswich helped Forest to get a second goal.

Forest started the second half well, but Ipswich persevered and got a goal back and could have scored more. But Forest averted a tense end to the game when they came straight back at the home side with a third goal.

Forest missed an early chance when a long ball forward caught the Ipswich defence out and the ball dropped nicely for Marcus Tudgay, but he volleyed the ball high over the crossbar.

But Tudgay didn't miss a minute later when he put Forest in front after five minutes with a superb strike. He latched onto a though ball from Andy Reid, who timed his cross perfectly and rolled the ball to the feet of Tudgay who rifled it into the far corner of the net from 15 yards out.

And the Ipswich defence were almost caught out again when Garath McCleary made a good run in, beating three men but knocking the ball too far forward. It rolled to Lewis McGugan, but his shot was weak and Arran Lee-Barrett had an easy save to make.

Ipswich missed a great chance to equalize from a free kick taken by Carlos Edwards. Damien Delaney headed the ball back across the face of goal where Jay Emmanuel-Thomas headed straight at Lee Camp.

And a great strike from George Boateng caused Lee-Barrett problems when the Forest player produced a powerful, low shot which the keeper initially couldn't hold, but he managed to get hold of the ball at the second attempt.

With Ipswich much more into the game, they made a good break and Delaney got a shot in from just outside of the D but, under pressure from Boateng, he put the ball over the bar.

The ball was quickly back the other end and Forest took advantage when Delaney mis-headed the ball and it fell for McCleary who got past one man and crunched the ball into the corner of the net from 22 yards.

And it was almost three for Forest when Lee Bowyer gave the ball away in midfield, allowing McGugan to half-volley from 30 yards just missing the top corner and the ball landed on the top of the net.

And after getting away down the right, Chris Gunter produced a superb ball into the box to create another chance but as the ball went across the six-yard box there was nobody to get on the end of it before Ipswich cleared.

Daryl Murphy missed another chance for Ipswich to get one back when he found himself unmarked and shot straight at Camp from six yards out.

And they were denied again when Emmanuel-Thomas produced a superb shot from 35 yards out which bounced down from the top of the cross bar and then Bowyer completely mis-kicked the rebound, although he was offside.

Bowyer had to be substituted soon after when he picked up and injury but McGugan, who received treatment at the same time, was able to carry on.

Good work from Reid just before half time gave him a chance to get a shot in when he got away from two players, but his chip went straight to the keeper.

And Ipswich missed a stoppage time opportunity with a great low cross from Martin to Murphy but he put the ball over the bar from close range.

Forest had two chances in the first two minutes of the second half, the first came from Reid's corner when a great header from Tudgay was cleared off the line.

The second came when McCleary got away from Aaron Cresswell and laid the ball back to Reid. His effort was blocked and came out for McGugan who blazed wide and high from 16 yards out.

Some good pressure from Ipswich gave them a chance when a challenge by McCleary gave them a free kick a yard outside the penalty area but fortunately for Forest, Emmanuel-Thomas lofted the ball over the crossbar.

There was more good work from McCleary getting away down the right and beating his man before getting a cross into the box for Tudgay who stretched to get on the end of the ball, but it was turned round for a corner.

As Forest came under pressure from Ipswich, three strong challenges from Boateng frustrated the home side's efforts to get a goal back.

The pressure continued with a great ball in from the left by Emmanual-Thomas which evaded everyone and Greg Cunningham turned the ball away for a corner. And from Drury's corner Ellington's header flew just wide of the left-hand post.

But Ipswich were given a chance to get one back from the penalty spot with 16 minutes remaining when Emmanuel-Thomas was brought down in the box by Boateng.

Grant Leadbitter stepped up to take the penalty and sent the ball in low where it came off one post and in off the other.

The goal lifted the home crowd who had been quiet all afternoon, apart from when they had been booing their team.

But just as Ipswich thought they were back into the game Forest produced their third goal from another great cross from Reid and a superb header by Tudgay who guided the ball past the keeper and inside the far post.

McCleary became the first Forest substitute with seven minutes remaining. After an excellent game he had faded in the final few minutes and was replaced by Matt Derbyshire.

The game petered out somewhat apart from a stoppage time shot from Leadbitter which was turned behind by Camp and the resulting corner was easily cleared.

Patrick Bamford was substituted to kill some time and Reid, after his best performance to date, made a very slow exit from the pitch and the final whistle blew just a few seconds later.

Nottingham Forest: Camp; Gunter, Moussi, Chambers(C), Cunningham; Greening, Boateng; McCleary(Derbyshire 82min), McGugan, Reid(Bamford
90+3min); Tudgay
Subs not used: Smith, Majewski, Meadows,
Scorers: Tudgay 5min, 78min, McCleary 26min,

Ipswich Town: Lee-Barrett, Cresswell, Ingimarsson, Delaney, Leadbitter(C) Edwards, Bowyer(Chopra 42min), Emmanuel-Thomas, Martin(Ellington 70min), Drury, Murphy(Carson 65min)
Subs not used: Wright, Ainsley
Bookings: Leadbitter 90+2min
Scorer: Leadbitter 75min pen

Referee:Carl Boyeson
Attendance: 18,964 away attn: 800

    Latest Match Reports