Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 19 Nov 11 at 16:57 PM

Nottingham Forest 3 v 2 Ipswich Town

Nottingham Forest turned the game around with two goals late in the second half to give them a hard-earned three points.

Both sides struggled to exert any authority on the game in the first half, but it was Ipswich who broke the deadlock after 25 minutes.An equalizer late in the half brought the Forest side to life, showing promise for the second half.

It looked like it wasn't going to be Forest's day when Ipswich again took the lead. But Forest were far from beaten and goals from Marcus Tudgay and Joel Lynch, both of whom have proved themselves this season, gave Forest the win.

Ipswich had a chance in the opening minute when the ball was sent forward to Jason Scotland, whose shot from the top of the D had Lee Camp beaten but went just wide.

In spite of some good, pacey football both sides struggled to create anything dangerous going forward in the opening stages of the game.

Forest's first chance was 15 minutes coming, following some good build-up play down the right. Luke Chambers put the cross into the box where Marcus Tudgay flicked the ball back to Guy Moussi who sent it flying from the edge of the penalty area, but it was a relatively easy save for David Stockdale.

And a great run down the left from Greg Cunningham created another opportunity for Forest and Ivar Ingimarsson did well to stretch and stop the cross and remove the danger.

But it was Ipswich who took the lead from a great free kick by Aaron Cresswell who curled the ball with accuracy towards the near post where it flew straight to Danny Collins' head, leaving him an easy job to put the ball into the back of the net.

The equalizer also came from a free kick, three minutes from the break, which was taken from the right by Lewis McGugan. The ball flew to a crowded back post where Joel Lynch nodded it down to Robbie Findley who bundled it home.

This finally brought the Forest players and the City Ground crowd to life and their efforts earned them another free kick 25 yards out, just to the right. McGugan smashed the ball low past the two-man wall, forcing Stockdale to dive down and make the save.

It was a lively start to the second half with Robbie Findley almost getting on the end of a lopped ball forward by Gunter, which the keeper gathered.

And when Ipswich threatened Camp was only able to parry the ball away, with Chambers finishing the clearance.

Forest made a quick break and the home crowd thought they should have been awarded a penalty when Cunningham went down just inside the box after a collision between him and Carlos Edwards, but the referee's decision indicated that neither player was to blame.

Forest were denied a goal from the corner which McGugan sent in to Chambers, who sent a powerful header which was miraculously cleared off the line by Cresswell.

Ipswich again took the lead, just after the hour mark, from Bullard's corner. It was good delivery and a low, diving header from Cummings had Camp beaten, with the ball flying past him as he dived to his right.

A great effort from Tudgay almost put Forest straight back on level terms when he smashed the ball towards goal. Stockdake was unable to stop it but the ball came out sideways from under the keeper and the danger was cleared.

A double substitution for Forest in the 76th minute saw Chris Gunter replaced by Paul Anderson, making his return from injury and Andy Reid coming on for Jonathan Greening.

Reid took his chance with a long-range shot which sent Stockdale diving to his left, but the ball went just wide of the far post.

Forest's final substitution saw David McGoldrick come on for Findley, with nine minutes remaining.

Forest got their second equalizer of the game with six minutes remaining when Reid curled a superb ball into the box where Lynch got his head to it and sent it flying past the keeper for his first Forest goal.

They came close to a third a minute later when, from the left, McGoldrick controlled the ball well and squared it back to McGugan, whose effort was saved by the Ipswich keeper.

And Forest got the winner in the first of four minutes stoppage time from Cunningham 's cross, which Tudgay headed in at the back post.

Nottingham Forest: Camp, Chambers(C), Morgan, Lynch, Cunningham, Gunter(Anderson 76min), Moussi, McGugan, Greening(Reid 76min), Tudgay, Findley(McGoldrick 81min)
Subs not used: Smith, Majewski,
Bookings: Cunningham 65min
Scorers: Findley 42min, Lynch 84min,Tudgay 90+1min

Ipswich Town: Stockdale, Cresswell, Ingimarrson, Leadbitter(C), Edwards, Bowyer(Emmanuel-Thomas 69min), Chopra(Martin 82min), Scotland(Ellington 79min), Bullard, Carson, Collins
Subs not used: Lee-Barrett, Wabara
Scorer: Collins 25min, 62min

Referee: J Linington
Attendance: 21,143 away attn:1,481

    Latest Match Reports