Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 01 Nov 11 at 21:42 PM

Nottingham Forest 1 v 0 Reading

Forest ended Reading's eight match unbeaten run with a great second half performance.

The first half was almost completely dominated by a strong Reading side who had most of the possession, but without a shot on target.

Forest created more towards the end of the half and would have been the happier side going in on level terms at the break.

Forest looked much improved in the second half and finally took the lead with a great goal with 15 minutes remaining and they put in a composed performance to keep the clean sheet.

It was a good start for Reading, with Forest hardly able to get out of their own half in the opening minutes.

Forest were nearly caught out when they made a good break and initially a great tackle by Wes Morgan stopped their progress, but Hal Robson-Kanu picked the ball up on the left and got in a low cross, which went straight to Lee Camp.

The Forest fans thought they had taken the lead when the cross from Radi Majewski came in from the left and hit a Forest player before the ball fell for Marcus Tudgay who lashed the ball into the back of the net, but the offside flag was quickly up.

Reading threatened again when Robson-Kanu got away from Luke Chambers down the left and put the cross in, which was well cleared by Joel Lynch.

And they came close when Jobi McAnuff's shot hit the crossbar and came back ou,t but Kaspaars Gorkss couldn't take advantage at the far post and Camp quickly smothered the ball.

Reading missed a chance to take the lead when Mikele Leigertwood set up Adam Le Fondre but he blasted the ball over the bar from close range.

Forest struggled to keep any possession of the ball with Reading looking better in every way.

Forest's first half-chance came from a corner when Lewis McGugan's ball came out to Majewski who turned and shot from 15 yards, out but his effort went over.

After making a good break, Forest won a free kick right on the edge of the box after McGugan was brought down by Alex Pearce as he tried to push forward. But McGugan couldn't take advantage and blasted the free kick into the wall and it was easily cleared.

Towards the end of the half Forest had another chance from a free kick from 20 yards out on the right. McGugan drilled the ball in low and it hits a couple of Reading players before falling to Tudgay who was unable to get his shot on target and it went over.

Andy Reid replaced Majewski for the start of the second half and Forest looked much more positive than they had at the start of the first.

A dangerous free kick from the left by McGugan had good pace, the ball flying past a defender and requiring two attempts for Adam Dederici to be able to make it safe.

Forest started to threaten the Reading goal and once again good delivery by McGugan from the corner gave them a chance. Chambers nearly got a head to the ball but it was headed back to McGugan, who put the ball back in but again it was cleared.

And Robbie Findley combined well with Tudgay who saw the opportunity to try a shot from the middle of the D, firing towards goal before he could be closed down but unfortunately the ball went straight at the keeper.

Quick reactions by Greg Cunningham prevented Reading from getting a shot in when the ball broke to Jem Karacan and it was well blocked by the Forest player before it went back to Shaun Cummings who shot wide.

Forest took the lead with 15 minutes to go after McGugan fed the ball to Chambers as he made a great run down the right and crossed perfectly to pickout Tudgay who controlled the ball, turned and slotted it past the keeper.

Forest continued to push forward with McGugan skipping past Cummings before being pulled back to win Forest another free kick wide on the left. McGugan hit it low and it almost caught Federici out but he managed to claw the ball away.

And a corner from Reid was cleared by Reading as far as McGugan who tried to double the lead, but couldn't find the target.

Late in the half Forest made a defensive substitution with Findley being replaced by Brendan Moloney.

And the Forest defender came close to scoring after Reid and McGugan had done well to keep the ball safe near the corner until forcing another corner. The ball came out to Moloney who sent it flying towards the near corner but Federici managed to get to it.

A great stoppage time save by Camp stopped Reading from getting a late equaliser. The cross came in from the right to the Le Fondre who got his head to it and sent the ball towards goal from six yards out only to see his effort parried away by the Forest keeper.

Nottingham Forest: Camp, Chambers(C), Morgan, Lynch, Cunningham, Gunter, Moussi, McGugan, Majewski(Reid 45minHT), Tudgay, Findley(Moloney 87min)
Subs not used: Smith, Derbyshire, Greening
Scorer: Tudgay 75min

Reading: Federici, Karacan, Pearce, Leigertwood, Le Fondre, McAnuff(C), Mills, Gorkss, Robson-Kanu(Kebe 67min), Manset(Hunt 68min), Cummings(Church 81min)
Subs not used: McCarthy(GK), Harte
Bookings: Le Fondre 68min, Cummings 79min

Referee: D Webb
Attendance: 18,506 away attn: 446

    Latest Match Reports