Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 29 Oct 11 at 16:57 PM

Nottingham Forest 0 v 1 Hull City

Forest lost their first game under Steve Cotterill in a frustrating game against Hull.

Forest had the majority of the possession and created more chances in the first half, but without really troubling the Hull keeper.

A defensive Hull looked better as the half progressed but created nothing up front to trouble Lee Camp.

It was a more evenly matched second half. Hull took the lead with their first shot on target and they looked more confident after that, frustrating Forest's efforts to get back into the game.

Forest came close in the fourth minute when a short chip in to the near post from the right by Lewis McGugan found Marcus Tudgay who steered his header towards goal, but couldn't find enough of an angle and the ball went into the side netting.

Forest made a good break down the left where Jonathan Greening's cross was aimed at Ishmael Miller and Adriano Basso reacted quickly to come out of his box and grab the ball just before Greening could get his head on it.

As Forest continued to dominate the game a free kick, hit with some force by Lewis McGugan from 30 yards out, cleared the wall but went straight into the arms of Basso.

Another good move from Forest saw Miller play Radi Majewski down the left and his cross arrived as Chris Gunter arrived at the back post but the ball was headed behind by Joe Dudgeon.

A quick break by Hull threatened the Forest goal for the first time in the game but Tom Cairney's shot was fairly easily saved by Lee Camp.

And a free kick wide on the right by Robbie Brady looked dangerous but it flew across the goalmouth and out the other side.

After a better spell from Hull, Forest had a chance from nothing when the ball fell for McGugan who, from 30 yards out, sent the ball flying towards goal and only just over the bar.

And they put pressure on the Hull goal when good control by Majewski gave him the chance to feed the ball to Greg Cunningham on the edge of the box and his dangerous cross was put out for a corner.

From the corner Wes Morgan's header at the back post went straight into the arms of Basso.

Forest had one last chance in the first half, with another long-range free kick from McGugan, but that was also wide of the target.

There was warm applause for former Forest captain Paul McKenna when he came on for Hull after the break, replacing Cairney.

The second half had plenty of pace early on but with neither side creating anything productive out of it.

Another McGugan free kick, from about 25 yards out to the left, hit the wall and came back out to Gunter on the right but his powerful shot towards goal was wide of the target.

Hull showed their intent to try and win the game when they brought on Dele Adebola to increase their strength up front.

A magnificent long-range left foot shot from Majewski produced the best effort of the game so far, forcing Basso to fly across his goal to tip the ball round the post for a corner.

Forest continued to press forward and Tudgay played a nice pass into Majewski in the box and his shot under pressure is easy for Basso in the Hull goal.

Soon after, a limping Miller was replaced by Robbie Findley with 17 minutes remaining.

But Hull were in the lead two minutes later when Aaron McLean got on the end of McKenna's ball forward and his powerful strike went under Cunningham's body and past Camp into the back of the net.

With eight minutes remaining Andy Reid became Forest's second substitution, replacing Greening.

And Matt Derbyshire came on soon after in place of Cunningham who looked to have picked up a slight knock.

Hull frustrated Forest's attempts to get forward but as the game went into the four minutes of stoppage time the home side pushed forward again.

In spite of getting plenty of the ball Forest were unable to keep possession in the penalty area and Hull held onto their lead.

Nottingham Forest: Camp, Chambers, Morgan(C), Lynch, Cunningham(Derbyshire 86min), Gunter, Greening(Reid 82min), McGugan, Majewski, Tudgay, Miller(Findley73min)
Subs not used: Smith, Moloney,
Bookings: Gunter 31min

Hull City: Basso, Rosenior, Chester, Hobbs(C), Evans, McLean(Harper 87min), Koren, Fryatt, Cairney(McKenna 45minHT), Brady(Adebola 61min), Dudgeon
Subs not used: Gulasci, McShane,
Bookings: McClean 31min, Chester 68min, Rosenior 68min, Fryatt 90+5min
Scorer: McClean 75min

Referee: K Stroud
Attendance: 22,841 Away attn: 2,105

    Latest Match Reports