Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 22 Oct 11 at 17:01 PM

Blackpool 1 v 2 Nottingham Forest

Nottingham Forest are celebrating their second win in a week after a hard-fought game against Blackpool.

The game lacked any rhythm for much of the first half, with neither side getting a hold on the game. But it livened up ten minutes before the break, with Forest taking the lead, but Blackpool got a quick equalizer to go in level at half time.

After a steady second half, the game had a frantic finish when Forest took the lead 13 minutes from time but then went down to ten men after Guy Moussi went off for a second yellow card.

Forest reacted well to survive a late onslaught from Blackpool who were prevented from getting a late equalizer.

Forest looked good in midfield in the opening minutes with some accurate passing and when Radi Majewski released Marcus Tudgay on the right, his cross towards the far post was snapped up by Matthew Gilks before it could reach Ishmael Miller, who was on hand ready to tap it in.

It was over 20 minutes before Lee Camp had anything to do when Blackpool threatened from the corner, but the Forest keeper, under pressure from two players, had no problem in gathering up the ball.

Good delivery by Lewis McGugan, with a free kick from long range, created a chance for Forest. Luke Chambers, Joel Lynch and Wes Morgan were all waiting all at the back post. It was Chambers who made contact with the ball but he headed just over the bar.

Miller tried a shot from 20 yards out, but it took a deflection and fell kindly for Gilks in the Blackpool goal.

A deflected cross at the other end from Neal Eardley was more difficult but Camp gathered the ball effectively.

Forest almost gifted Blackpool a chance when Guy Moussi was unable to keep hold of the ball, allowing Jonjo Shelvey to get a cross in. Morgan was there to defend, but was a bit lucky when the ball came off his foot, that it didn't end in the back of his own net.

Forest put more pressure on when the cross came in from Chambers to Marcus Tudgay whose header tested Gilks, but he managed to tip the ball over for a corner. Forest took the lead with another well-placed corner from McGugan. The ball found its way through a crowd of bodies, Morgan rose highest to get a touch and head the ball down and over the line.

But Blackpool equalised just two minutes before half time, after the referee missed a foul on McGugan by Eardley, to deny Forest a free kick.

Blackpool got forward and Kevin Phillips was allowed to turn just outside the penalty area and line up his shot, which beat Camp's dive to the right.

Tt was a high tempo start to the second half and Forest threatened when Majewski and Tudgay combined well to put pressure on the Blackpool goal and a good low cross was cleared away by Craig Cathcard to force a corner.

It was great delivery again by McGugan to the far post, but Chambers should have done better with his header which went wide of the target.

After a couple of mistakes Forest were quick to made a double substitution on the hour mark with Matt Derbyshire and Brendan Moloney coming on for Miller and Greening.

Camp was furious when the Forest defence allowed Thomas Ince to charge forward but luckily his effort went into the side netting.

The referee continued to frustrate the efforts of the away side and the Forest supporters, in good voice, made their feelings clear about his decisions.

Blackpool twice came close to taking the lead when Ince first got away and fed the ball to Phillips who kicked the ball the wrong way from two yards out in front of an open goal.

The ball then hit Phillips and bounced away from the goal to Ince who got away from Gunter and Derbyshire but after doing all the hard work he hit the post from an angle.

But it was Forest who took the lead after Gunter's throw-in from wide on the left just missed Derbyshire and the ball was only cleared as far as Majewski on the edge of the penalty area and he didn't waste his chance, thumping the ball low into the corner of the net.

Forest looked like getting a third when Majewski held the ball up, allowing Moloney to run in and fire in a low ball, forcing Gilks to stretch and grab the ball at the near post.

But Forest were down to ten men, nine minutes from time, when Moussi was sent off for a second yellow card, leaving the Forest bench perplexed as they had not realised the player had picked up an earlier yellow during the celebration of Forest's second goal.

In a tactical change for Forest, or possibly not wanting to risk losing another player, substitute Derbyshire, already on one yellow, was taken off to be replaced by Andy Reid.

Phillips missed a chance to put Blackpool back on level terms when he sent the ball flying high over the crossbar with two minutes to go.

It was a frantic finish to the game as Blackpool pushed forward, throwing everything at Forest in a desperate attempt to get a late equalizer and each time Forest got the ball away Blackpool got forward again.

But ten-man Forest held on and the players sunk to their knees in relief before going to celebrate with the travelling supporters.

Nottingham Forest: Camp, Chambers(C), Morgan, Lynch, Gunter, Greening(Moloney 61min), Moussi, McGugan, Majewski, Tudgay, Miller(Derbyshire 61min)(Reid 84min)
Bookings: Derbyshire 65min, Gunter 67min, Moussi 77min, 81min Red Card
Subs not used: Smith, Findley
Scorers: Morgan 39min, Majewski 76min

Blackpool: Gilks, Eardley(Evatt 58min), Baptiste, Cathcart, Crainey, Ferguson(C), Shelvey, Taylor-Fletcher, Ince(Bruna 82min), McManaman(Sutherland 82min), K Phillips.
Subs not used: Howard, Southern,
Scorer: Philips 43min

Referee: Jock Waugh
Attendance: 13,520

    Latest Match Reports