Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 15 Oct 11 at 17:00 PM

Coventry City 1 v 0 Nottingham Forest

In spite of a good start by Forest they were eventually outplayed by Coventry, whose single goal was enough to give them the points, leaving Forest second from bottom of the table.

Forest started well, looking comfortably in control and had the better of a poor first half, in spite of a late surge by Coventry.

Coventry were much improved in the second half and took the lead eleven minutes in and from then on had the majority of the chances.

A good, surging run by Lewis McGugan gave Forest an early chance. He broke clear and squared the ball for Marcus Tudgay whose shot was parried away by Joe Murphy but Matt Derbyshire was offside when he tried to get on the end of the rebound.

Forest looked the brighter of the two teams and with Coventry looking very weak Lee Camp had nothing to do for the first 15 minutes.

Good work by Ishmael Miller won Forest a corner when Coventry gave the ball away. The Forest striker won the ball and shot from 20 yards out.

Forest were denied by a good save from Murphy when Miller got away down the right and beat his man to get a cross in. The Coventry keeper was only able to parry the ball away where it found McGugan whose shot from a tight angle hit Miller before finally being cleared by Sammy Clingan.

Forest kept up the pressure with a good ball from Jonathan Greening in to Miller who found space inside the box and shot, forcing another good save from Murphy.

It was nearly half an hour before Camp had to make a save when the ball was curled in by Cyrus Christie and dropped for Clive Platt whose effort forced Camp to tip the ball over the crossbar.

And Coventry had another chance when good delivery by Clinghan saw Lukas Jutkiewicz dive in to get on the end of a header but his effort went wide.

Forest's defence were caught out when Coventry played the ball into the box and Chris Gunter slipped in his effort to block the ball. Wes Morgan's strong, but effective challenge had the home supporters calling for a penalty. The ball ricocheted allowing David Bell to put it right across the face of goal, but there was nobody to get on the end of it and it went out the other side.

A good challenge by Clint Hill three minutes before the break prevented a chance for Coventry as he slid in to concede a corner.

A great turn by McGugan almost produced an early second half chance for Forest as he got away from two challenges to get into the box where both McGugan and Derbyshire went down looking for a penalty but the referee was unimpressed.

A magnificent save from Camp prevented Richard Keogh's header from the back post going. But the ball wasn't cleared and another cross from the right went unchallenged by the Forest defence and Camp had no chance when Jutkiewicz headed home to give Coventry the lead.

Coventry continued to put the pressure on and when Camp could only punch the ball away to the edge of the penalty area, the header from Conor Thomas had the Forest keeper beaten and Clint Hill did well to clear the ball off the line.

Another great save by Camp kept Forest in the game when Bell cut in from the right to get a shot in and Camp managed to turn the ball away for a throw-in.

There was a long break in play after a challenge between Miller and Murphy saw the Coventry keeper go down and Miller was quick to get the medics on to give him treatment.

Murphy was eventually stretchered off and Chris Dunn took his place in the Coventry goal.

At the same time a double substitution for Forest saw Robbie Findley come on for Derbyshire and Radi Majewski replace Greening.

And Findley was quickly showing his pace when, a minute from coming on he timed his run well to meet the cross from McGugan, but sent his effort wide.

A long, diagonal ball by Clingan into the penalty area came close to giving Coventry a second goal but Jutkiewicz' header hit the top of the crossbar and went over.

There were, not surprisingly, ten minutes stoppage time for Forest to get a late equalizer, with Andy Reid replacing Tudgay in the first minute.

Majewski showed some initiative after winning the ball in midfield and playing it out right to Gunter who sent in a cross that was just too high for Miller.

Findley missed a late chance when he was gifted the ball and mis-kicked to send it high over the crossbar.

Nottingham Forest: Camp, Gunter, Chambers(C), Morgan, Hill, McGugan, Moussi, Greening(Majewski 76min), Derbyshire(Findley 76min), Miller, Tudgay(Reid 90+2min)
Subs not used: Smith, Moloney,
Bookings: Miller 65min

Coventry City: Murphy(Dunn 75min), Keogh, Hussey, Clingan(C), Bell, Jutkiewicz, Deegan, Platt, Wood(Cameron 79min), Christie, Thomas(Bigirimana 83min)
Subs not used: McDonald, O'Donovan,
Scorer: Jutkiewicz 56min

Referee: Fred Graham
Attendance: 15,712 Away attn: 2,191

    Latest Match Reports