Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 07 May 11 at 14:42 PM

Crystal Palace 0 v 3 Nottingham Forest

Nottingham Forest play Swansea in the play-offs after a convincing win over Crystal Palace.

Forest had all the chances in the first half and took the lead in the 17th minute with a goal from in-form Lewis McGugan. And they controlled the game for most of the first 45 minutes.

The second half didn't go all Forest's way but a second goal 20 minutes from time was followed with a third with ten minutes remaining as Forest secured the win.

There were no real chances at either end in the opening minutes of the game, but the Forest fans were in good spirit after hearing of an early goal by QPR against Leeds.

Forest came close from their first corner of the game when Luke Chambers got on the end of McGugan's ball.The header almost went over the line but the ball seemed to roll up a Palace defender and back out off the crossbar.

And McGugan was not far off target himself with a long-range volley which flew across the face of goal and only just out beyond the far post.

A good break by Forest ended in a weak shot by Paul Anderson, which was easily gathered up by Julian Speroni.

But Forest were in the lead soon after when a long ball found Marcus Tudgay inside the box. He headed it back to McGugan, who fired the ball across goal and into the far corner.

The ball was in the back of the net again two minutes later, but Chris Cohen was offside when he crossed to Kris Boyd, who headed in.

Palace were down to ten men after 25 minutes when Dean Moxey was sent off for a terrible foul on Marcus Tudgay, catching the Forest player high with his studs up.

Forest were in control, looking calm and composed as the first half drew to a close.

The game was more evenly matched e at the start of the second half, with Forest giving the ball away a bit too often, allowing the home side to get forward.

Good defending from Guy Moussi denied Palace a goal from a free kick wide on the right by Darren Ambrose, which came flying in towards goal and the Forest player did well to head over for a corner.

A cross in from Paul Anderson on the left gave Kris Boyd a chance, but his shot came off Patrick McCarthy and Speroni was able to gather the ball up.

A good push forward by Palace saw Neil Danns effort bobble wide of the post.

Forest's first substitution came on the hour mark with Paul McKenna replacing Moussi, who had apparently picked up a calf problem and ice was promptly applied when he reached the bench.

Palace came close again with a long ball in from near the half-way line but, under pressure from Lee Camp, McCarthy sent the ball wide.

Forest got their second goal in the 70th minute from a good cross in by Brendan Moloney to Marcus Tudgay who headed in from the edge of the six-yard box, the ball whizzing past Speroni.

Karl Darlow was given his debut for Forest with 15 minutes remaining as Camp, having picked up a slight ankle injury, came off to loud applause from the travelling supporters.

A thundering goal from substitute David McGoldrick, on for Boyd, gave Forest their third goal with a drive from 25 yards that gave Sperone no chance as the ball flew into the top corner.

Darlow kept Forest's clean sheet intact after a foul by Chris Gunter gave him Forest's first yellow card of the game. Ambrose sent the ball flying towards goal and Darlow did well to punch it away.

Nottingham Forest:Camp (C),(Darlow 75min) Moloney, Morgan, Chambers, Gunter, Anderson, Moussi(McKenna 62min), Cohen, McGugan, Boyd(McGoldrick 69min), Tudgay,
Subs not used: Adebola, McCleary, Majewski, Bennett
Bookings: Gunter 90min
Scorers: McGugan 17min, Tudgay 70min, McGoldrick 80min

Crystal Palace: Speroni, Clyne, Wright(Zaha 72min), McCarthy (C), Ambrose, Danns, Easter(Scannell 62min), Moxey, Gardner, Counago(Davis 28min), Agustien
Subs not used: Price, Garvan, Cadogan, O'Keefe
Bookings: Moxey RED CARD 25min

Referee: SJ Tanner
Attendance: 18,843 away attn 3,136

    Latest Match Reports