Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Fri 15 Apr 11 at 21:54 PM

Norwich City 2 - 1 Nottingham Forest

Norwich strengthened their promotion hopes at the expense of Nottingham Forest in a hard-fought battle at Carrow Road.

It was fast, end-to-end football throughout the whole of the first half, with Forest taking an early lead. But it was not long before Norwich equalized and although Forest threatened several times and had more of the chances, it was the home side that got a second to go in at half time with a one goal lead.

The second half didn't live up to the first, with Norwich defending their lead and although there were chances for both sides, surprisingly there were no more goals.

There were three changes to the side that started against Burnley on Tuesday. Brendan Moloney and David McGoldrick, who came on as a substitute to score both goals, were rewarded for their performances and start the game. Kris Boyd and Nathan Tyson started up front. Marcus Tudgay and Robert Earnshaw both moved to the bench and there was no place for Garath McCleary.

It was a good, positive start for Forest who pushed forward from the outset and they found themselves in front following a bizarre goal in the third minute.

Nathan Tyson's speed caused them problems when he got away from Zak Whitbread, forcing keeper John Ruddy to come out of his area to block the path of Tyson. Ruddy got to the ball first, on the near corner of the box but he sent it off Tyson and could only stand and watch as the ball travelled across the face of an empty goal and in at the far side.

But it was somehow inevitable that former Forest player and Norwich captain Grant Holt would get the equalizer. And it was only seven minutes coming, from a free a kick taken wide on the right by David Fox and delivered to the far post ,where Holt rose above everybody else and headed past Camp and low in at the far post.

Forest had a chance from a free kick after Kris Boyd was bundled over by Whitbread and Lewis McGugan's effort from just outside the D, cleared the wall but went just over the crossbar.

Norwich threatened when Andrew Surman worked the ball well to get a shot in from the edge of the box but saw the ball go just wide of the far post.

And Forest came close when McGugan sent the ball across the face of goal from a tight angle, but it was cleared off the line by Whitbread, although he didn't know much about it.

Lee Camp came to Forest's rescue when Wesley Hoolahan fed the ball through to Simeon Jackson who was just onside as he tried to lob the ball past Camp but it came off the Forest keeper, who was able to turn quickly and pounce on the ball.

As the game went from end to end, Forest came close following some good work by McGugan who beat his man on the right side of the box to pick out Guy Moussi, whose effort flew off the far post.

It looked like Marcus Tudgay was coming on for Forest when Boyd went down awkwardly on his ankle but, after receiving treatment, Boyd was able to carry on and Tudgay took his place back on the bench.

Not long after play resumed Norwich had taken the lead when the ball was lobbed high from the other end where Jackson won the ball and fed it through to Surman who got away from Moussi and lifted the ball over Camp and into the back of the net.

Great work by Tyson on the left gave Forest the chance of a quick goal back but Tierney got in front of Moussi to clear the ball.

And they had another chance from a long ball in by McGugan where it found McGoldrick in front of goal. He stretched to get onto the ball but he couldn't get it under control and it went wide of the near post.

As the half went into the four minutes stoppage time Boyd was unable to carry on and was replaced by Tudgay.

Norwich were on the attack from the off in the second half and Surman once again had Moussi beaten, but his effort was wide of the far post.

And Camp was quick off the mark to get Jackson's effort from the right away with his feet.

It was good work by McGugan in creating a chance for Forest when he put in a superb cross for McGoldrick, but his effort from 20 yards was always going wide.

The half was only four minutes old when Chris Gunter came on to replace Moussi.

It was 15 minutes before Forest really started to put pressure on the Norwich defence and for a while the home side struggled to get the ball away from their end.

But Norwich were soon back in control and with Forest struggling at times to keep possession, Norwich seemed content to defend their lead and take advantage of the occasional break.

Good work by Konchesky created a chance for Forest when he sent a good cross from the left into the six-yard box. It came back out to Tyson but he snatched at the ball and it went wide of the post.

And it was Tyson's last involvement in the game as he was replaced by Robert Earnshaw with 17 minutes remaining.

Norwich came close from the corner ten minutes from time, but Paul McKenna prevented Holt from getting a close-range shot in.

Forest made a quick break and a good ball in from the right found Gunter whose strike whizzed past the near post.

Forest had a chance in the 90th minute when McKenna crossed into a crowded box where Earnshaw was unable to find enough space to get a shot it.

Forest were down to ten men when Konchesky was sent up after picking up his second yellow card of the game.

The Norwich fans must have wondered if the referee was ever going to blow the whistle but in spite of a late surge by Forest they held on to take all three points.

Nottingham Forest: Camp, Moloney, Morgan, Chambers, Konchesky, McKenna(C), Moussi(Gunter 49mins), McGugan, McGoldrick, Boyd(Tudgay 45+2min) ,Tyson(Earnshaw 73mins)
Subs not used: Darlow, Bennett, Majewski, Adebola
Scorers: Tyson 3mins
Bookings: Konchesky 38min, 90+1min RED for 2 yellow cards.

Norwich City: Ruddy, Martin, Ward, Tierney, Whitbread, Crofts, Surman, Hoolahan(Lappin 78min), Fox(Lansbury 60mins), Jackson(Edwards 90mins), Holt(C)
Subs not used: Rudd, McNamee, Vokes, Pacheco
Scorers: Holt 10mins, Surman 37mins

Referee: N Swarbrick
Attendance: 26,188

    Latest Match Reports