Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sun 30 Jan 11 at 15:55 PM

West Ham United 3 v 2 Nottingham Forest

Nottingham Forest are out of the FA Cup after losing 3-2 against Premiership side West Ham United in a hard-fought game.

West Ham took an early lead but Forest dominated much of the play and were rewarded with an equalizer in the 18th minute. And they went ahead just minutes before half time, only to see the home side get one straight back.

West Ham scored what proved to be the winner from the penalty spot early in the second half. There was some good end-to-end football but the home side were much stronger than they had been in the first half and in spite of Forest's efforts, held on to their lead.

West Ham took control of the game from the start and a cross from Pablo Barrera found Frederic Piquionne who side-stepped Joel Lynch but the ball was deflected wide by Wes Morgan.

And from the resulting corner the home side took the lead, just three minutes into the game. The cross came in from Barrrera to Victor Obinna who tapped the ball in.

Forest responded well, creating a number of chances going forward and putting the West Ham defence under pressure.

Forest had a chance from a free kick when Raddy Majewski worked hard to get the ball past Mark Noble, who bundled the Forest player over. Lewis McGugan took the free kick from just over 20 yards out and sent the ball sailing over the crossbar.

Forest equalised in the 18th minute when David McGoldrick tucked the ball across to Dele Adebola who put it into the bottom corner from a tight angle.

And they had another chance when Danny Gabbidon fouled McGoldrick. Majewski took the free kick and curled his effort towards goal but it was blocked by Gabbidon.

Forest continued to dominate play but West Ham looked dangerous on the break and came close when Lee Camp had to jump up in a crowded box to try and grab the ball, but was bundled over by Piquionne in the process.

Forest took the lead just before the break after a free kick, when Chris Gunter was brought down on the right. Chris Cohen curled the ball in to the near post and Radoslav Kovac almost put it in himself but Robert Green got a hand to it and the ball fell to McGoldrick who put it over the line from close range.

But West Ham were back on level terms later less than two minutes later with a solo effort from Obinna who sent the ball flying over Camp's head from 25 yards out.

West Ham took the lead from the penalty spot seven minutes into the second half after Joel Lynch pulled Winston Reid down just inside the penalty area. Obinna completed his hat-trick, sending the ball past Camp and celebrating with a series of five back flips.

And they almost made it four from a free kick wide on the left but the ball went right across the 6-yard box and just out the other side without finding a player from either side.

A terrific break by Barrera, running almost the length of the pitch, created another chance for West Ham and he laid the ball on for Freddie Sears as he ran into the box, but Paul McKenna was able to put it out for a corner.

And Camp had to make a good save when Piquionne foundhimself in space and shot inside the D, forcing the Forest keeper to dive to his right to block the ball.

And the home side threatened again when Barrera sent the ball flying towards the right corner and again Camp dived to put the ball round for a corner.

Robert Earnshaw became the first Forest substitute of the game, replacing Adebola in the 65th minute and he was followed not long after by Majewski, who was replaced by Nathan Tyson.

West Ham came close again when Freddie Sears found himself in space just outside the penalty area and smashed the ball towards the top corner, forcing another good save from the Forest keeper.

Forest had a late chance to equalize from McGugan's corner which was headed just wide by McGoldrick.

And there was another chance with a superb move forward and a great ball in by McGoldrick which gave Gunter the perfect chance to score, but his effort was weak and easily saved by Green.

Forest: Camp, Gunter, Morgan, Chambers, Lynch, McKenna(C)(McCleary 78min) Majewski (Tyson 68min), McGugan, Cohen, Adebola(Earnshaw 66min), McGoldrick.
Subs not used: Smith, Moussi, Moloney, Rodney
Bookings: Lynch .51min, Gunter 65min
Scorer. Adebola 18min, McGoldrick 40min

West Ham: Green(C), Reid, Gabbidon, Barrera(Hines 90min, Kovac, Noble(Boa Morte 75min), Sears, Ilunga,Piquionne(Nouble 87min), Obinna, Jacobsen.
Subs not used: Boffin, Tomkins, Parker, Bridge
Bookings: Gabbadon 19min.
Scorer: Obinna 4min, 42min, 52min pen

Referee: M. Oliver

    Latest Match Reports