Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Wed 16 Feb 11 at 21:39 PM

Scunthorpe United1 v 0 Nottingham Fore

Nottingham Forest's unbeaten League run came to an end at Glanford Park against relegation strugglers Scunthorpe, whose 1-0 win was their first at home since August.

It was a disappointing first half for Forest who, although they dominated possession, had few chances and conceded a sloppy goal to go in behind at the break.

Forest had all the chances in the second half but in spite of all their efforts they could not find the target.

Forest dominated the action in the opening stages and their first chance came nine minutes into the game from a powerful corner from Chris Cohen which Josh Lillis just managed to punch away.

And they had a chance to take the lead from Cohen's free kick in the 16th minute. With Marcus Tudgay and Robert Earnshaw running into the six-yard box Lillis was only able to knock the ball as far as Nathan Tyson who, from 12 yards out in front of an open goal, put the rebound wide.

But it was Scunthorpe who took the lead two minutes later when Lee Miller made a break down the right and put the cross in to Chris Dagnall who was closed down by Chris Gunter and the ball was bundled over the line.

And they came close to a second soon after with a volley from Josh Wright and Lee Camp had to react quickly to dive to his right and make the save.

With the poor pitch causing problems there were few chances for much of the half although Forest finished it strongly.

They had a half chance late in the half when Earnshaw ran onto a loose ball and tried to curl past Paul Reid, but the Scunthorpe player was able to get in his way.

Forest started the second half strongly with some great skill by Lewis McGugan who got away from Michael Nelson and sent the ball across the face of goal just a yard out, but Earnshaw and Tudgay couldn't quite get there in time.

A great volley from Tudgay was blocked by Nelson's face, causing him to go down in need of treatment and a superb cross in by McGugan in to the near post was scrambled away before Tyson could get on the end of it.

Scunthorpe came close to a second from a free kick. The ball came in from Duffy to Dagnall whose header was only just over the crossbar.

But Forest began to pile on the pressure and, when Paul McKenna slid the ball in to Earnshaw, a great sliding challenge by Nelson took the ball away from him.

And a superb strike by Tudgay took two attempts before Lillis could get hold of the ball. A double substitution 20 minutes into the half saw Dele Adebola and David McGoldrick replace Tyson and, rather surprisingly, the influential McGugan.

Forest came close again when Gunter got away and sent in a beautiful cross for Adebola whose effort smashed against the crossbar and came out to Tudgay who couldn't control the ball enough to get it on target.

And two minutes from time substitute Garath McCleary picked up the through ball from Cohen and then passed it back to him. Cohen's right-foot shot beat the keeper but went just over the crossbar.

And in stoppage time Lillis only just managed to get hold of the ball to prevent McGoldrick from getting it over the line.

Another goalmouth scramble frustrated Forest when the ball finally fell for a Scunthorpe player.

By the final minute of stoppage time even Lee Camp came up for an 11-man onslaught on the Scunthorpe goal but the home side held on to take a valuable three points.

Nottingham Forest: Camp, Gunter, Morgan, Chambers, Konchesky, Cohen, McKenna(C), McGugan (McGoldrick 66min), Tyson (Adebola 66min), Earnshaw (McCleary 79min), Tudgay
Subs not used: Smith, Moloney, Lynch, Anderson
Bookings: McKenna 50min

Scunthorpe: Lillis, Nolan (A. Wright 72min), Nelson, Reid, Gordon, J. Wright, Togwell(C), Hughes, Duffy (Raynes, 68min), Dagnall (Grant 79min), Miller
Subs not used: Slocombe, Collins, Ibrahim, Godden
Scorer: Gunter OG 19min
Bookings: Reid

Referee: M Russell
Attendance: 5,578 (1,925 away)

    Latest Match Reports