Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 01 Mar 11 at 21:45 PM

Middlesbrough 1 v 1 Nottingham Forest

Nottingham Forest grabbed a last minute equalizer to take a share of the points at Middlesbrough.

Forest dominated much of a frustrating first half but, although Middlesbrough gave them too much space at the back, Forest were unable to convert their chances into goals.

Middlesbrough started the second half strongly and took the lead early in the half and Forest struggled to get the ball down the other end as the home side continued to dominate the half.

But a series of great saves by Camp kept Forest's hopes alive and they took advantage in the last minute of stoppage time to earn a valuable point.

In a half-empty stadium lacking in atmosphere, it was a slow start until Middlesbrough had two shots on goal ten minutes into the game.

The first came from Julio Arca whose effort from 18 yards was parried away by Lee Camp and then cleared by Luke Chambers. Then Barry Robson picked up the ball in midfield and his effort from 20 yards was saved by Camp.

Forest had a chance soon after when David McGoldrick put in a good cross to Robert Earnshaw as he ran in on the left and beat his man, but sent a weak shot straight into the hands of Jason Steele.

And a strong run from McGoldrick got him past three players to get a shot in but that was also saved by Steele.

Forest came close with a free kick from Chris Cohen on the right. The ball came into the six-yard box but Chambers scooped it over the bar from four yards out.

Joel Lynch was unable to finish the half when, after limping for a while, he went down injured and was replaced by Brandan Moloney with eight minutes of the half remaining.

Middlesbrough put the pressure on following a corner and came close when Andrew Taylor launched the ball towards goal from the edge of the box and Camp did well to palm it round the post for another corner.

Forest had good possession and created chances towards the end of the half but they were unable to make their chances pay.

Middlesbrough won a free kick early in the second half after a foul on Scott McDonald. Tony McMahon's effort produced an excellent save from Camp, diving to his left to claw the ball out to safety.

And he made another save seconds later when Leroy Lita shot from 20 yards out on the left.

But he was unable to save when Middlesbrough made a break down the right after Forest gave away the ball in midfield. Lita charged forward and fed it to Robson who sent the ball across goal where it fell to Scott McDonald who knocked it into the roof of the net from six yards out.

As Forest continued to struggle Paul Anderson replaced McGugan on the hour mark.

But Middlesbrough continued to threaten and came close when Arca laid ball off for Taylor who fired in a shot as he ran into the box but was denied by Camp who tipped the ball over the bar.

Dele Adebola became Forest's final substitute when he came on for McGoldrick with 23 minutes remaining.

In a rare break forward by Forest, Earnshaw struggled to keep the ball on the edge of the D but, with five Middlesbrough players around him, he was unable to get a clear view of goal.

Another great save by Camp kept Forest's chances alive when Lita tried to get on the end of the ball and it broke a yard away from the Forest keeper and he did well to block Taylor's close-range shot.

And a shot by Lita from 18 yards was blocked by Wes Morgan.

Forest came close to a late equalizer from a free kick when Cohen's ball in fell to Anderson, but his effort was blocked inside the six-yard box.

But Forest were soon under attack again when Robson's effort was deflected off a Forest player before going out off the far post.

Forest had a chance when Adebola won the header and, as Steele came out, Earnshaw ran onto the ball and the keeper only just managed to reach out and get hold of it.

As the game went into the three minutes stoppage time Forest made a final push forward, but a header from Adebola went straight into the arms of Steele.

But a minute from the final whistle Forest grabbed an equalizer when the ball was lofted up to the edge of the penalty area where Morgan won the challenge and Adebola kept running forward to scrambled the ball over the line.

Nottingham Forest: Camp, Gunter, Morgan, Chambers, Lynch(Moloney 38min), Cohen, McCleary, McKenna(C), McGugan (Anderson 60min), McGoldrick (Adebola 67min), Earnshaw
Subs not used: Smith(GK), Rodney, Majewski, Tudgay
Goalscorer: Adebola 90+4min
Bookings: McCleary 85min

Middlesbrough: Steele, McDonald, Bailey, Lita, Robson(C), Arca, Grounds, Hines, Taylor, Bennett, McMahon
Subs not used: Ripley, Haas, Zemmama, Boyd, Kink, Emnes, Smallwood
Goalscorer: McDonald 51min
Bookings: Arca 56min, McMahon 67min, Robson 88min

Referee: E Ilderton

Attendance: 15,341 (973 away)

    Latest Match Reports