Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sun 13 Feb 11 at 15:12 PM

QPR 1 v 1 Nottingham Forest

A superb defensive display gave Nottingham Forest a valuable point away to League leaders QPR.

An entertaining first half saw QPR take the lead and Forest go down to ten men when Raddy Majewski was sent off. But Forest fought back well, getting a quick equalizer and taking control of the game until towards the end of the half.

It was a tense second half and Forest defended superbly to prevent QPR from taking advantage of the extra man and Luke Chambers thoroughly deserved to be named man of the match.

Forest were on the attack from the start and Marcus Tudgay hit the post in the first minute but the offside flag was already up. And more pressure earned Forest two corners before the game was three minutes old.

A free kick gave QPR a chance 15 minutes into the game but Tommy Smith's header produced an easy save for Lee Camp.

But Smith did put Rangers in front just a minute later when he made a good run down the right and weaved his way past Paul Konchesky to the edge of the penalty area before bending the ball past a diving Camp and into the far corner.

Forest were down to ten men, 23 minutes into the half, when Raddy Majewski picked up a red card for a two-footed dive which upended Adel Taarabt.

But Forest were back on level terms three minutes later with a fortuitous goal from a free kick by Lewis McGugan, taken from 35 yards out to the right. The ball flew low into the 6-yard box where it flew off the leg of David McGoldrick and into the corner of the net, past a diving Paddy Kenny.

Forest came close from their fifth corner of the game when McGugan's ball in found Wes Morgan whose well-aimed header was superbly blocked on the line by Kenny.

Rangers threatened towards the end of the half and two great blocks by Luke Chambers cleared the danger, first from Taarabt and then Wayne Routledge, while in between these Camp had to come out of his area to ensure the ball was cleared.

Joel Lynch replaced Tudgay for the start of the second half, with Konchesky moving into midfield and McGoldrick playing on his own up front.

And the Forest substitute was quickly influential at the back, blocking Ranger's substitute Ishmael Miller as he looked dangerous on the edge of the penalty area.

Rangers came close when a rocket of a shot from Alejandro Faurlin flashed across the face of goal and just wide of the post.

But it was a much more tentative display from Forest compared to the first half, but theydefended solidly as much of the play took place in their own half.

Paul Anderson became the second substitute for Forest, replacing McGugan in the 68th minute.

With Forest still defending solidly, Chambers was again influential in keeping them on level terms.

To give Forest more speed up front Nathan Tyson came on for McGoldrick with 16 minutes remaining.

More great defensive work by Forest stopped QPR from going ahead from the corner when Bradley Orr's header was cleared off the line by Chris Gunter.

Two minutes from time, a rare break by Tyson down the left saw him beat two men but, with nobody to cross to, his only option was to shoot from a tight angle and the ball went into the side netting.

But QPR were soon back on the attack and Forest did well to hold on through three minutes stoppage time to take a share of the points.

Abacus Business Consultancy

Nottingham Forest:
Camp, Gunter, Morgan, Chambers, Konchesky, Cohen, Majewski, McKenna(C), McGugan(Anderson 68min) , McGoldrick(Tyson 74min), Tudgay(Lynch 45min HT)
Subs not used:Smith, Moloney, Adebola, Earnshaw
Bookings: Majewski RED CARD 23min, Tyson 88min
Scorer: McGoldrick 26min

QPR: Kenny, Orr, Hill, Derry, Taarabt, Faurlin(Vaagan Moen 79min), Gorkss(Chimbonda 74min), Routledge, Connolly, Hulse, Smith(Miller 45min HT)
Subs not used:Cerny, Hall, Helguson, Shittu
Bookings: Taarabt 48min, Gorkss 56min Derry 61min
Scorer: Smith 16min

Referee: M Clattenburg
Attendance: 17,227

    Latest Match Reports