Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 25 Jan 11 at 21:47 PM

Nottingham Forest 1 v 0 Bristol City

Nottingham Forest went within a point of second place with a game in hand after beating Bristol City 1-0 at The City Ground.

With City defending deeply from the outset, Forest were frustrated but worked hard at breaking them down and did so on occasion, but were not able to deliver the final ball.

Forest went ahead in the opening minutes of the second half, forcing City to attack and creating a much more competitive game, but Forest defended well and gradually took control of the game back.

Forest's first chance came seven minutes into the game, after a foul on Joel Lynch gave them a free kick 25 yards out just right of the D. Shooting towards the Trent End, Lewis McGugan's effort was parried clear by David James, diving low to his left.

The rebound came out to Nathan Tyson who sent the ball across the face of goal, just slightly ahead of Luke Chambers who could not get there in time.

Forest created another good chance after McGugan knocked the ball on for Robert Earnshaw who laid the ball on nicely for Marcus Tudgay, whose shot from 20 yards brought another good save from James, diving to his left to parry the ball away.

It was nearly half an hour before Bristol City posed any sort of threat with a quick break, but the final effort was poor and Lee Camp had an easy save to make. And Forest were quickly back in control with a good run down the right by Chris Gunter whose cross was headed away by Damion Stewart to prevent Earnshaw getting on the end of it.

A late effort by Forest came from a good break by Chris Cohen to the edge of the penalty area where he slipped the ball through to Tyson on the left, but his control let him down and Albert Adomah got in to clear the danger.

Forest took the lead less than three minutes into the second half after Tudgay won a free kick. Cohen delivered the ball in with great pace for Luke Chambers to head in at the near post.

City were then forced to go on the attack and they broke in numbers to threaten Camp's goal for the first time, with Adomah forcing a good save from the Forest keeper.

And they away side continued to cause Forest problems, with Jamal Campbell-Ryce missing an opportunity.

Tyson became the first Forest player to be substituted, his place taken by Garath McCleary.

City missed a great chance to equalize when Adomah had a clear sight of goal from the edge of the penalty area but he sent the ball over the crossbar.

Forest started to put the pressure back on when Guy Moussi's cross from the left went straight across the six-yard box, but evaded Earnshaw who couldn't run in fast enough to get on the end of the ball.

With Forest looking to make the game safe, Earnshaw tried a long-range effort, but the ball went straight at James.

And the striker made a superb break as far as the edge of the penalty area where, under pressure, he laid the ball on beautifully for McGugan who sent it flying high over the bar.

Substitutes Dele Adebola and David McGoldrick created a stoppage time change, crossing the ball from the right into the box for McGugan and Cole Skuse had to react quickly to block his effort.

And James had to get down quickly to block a shot by McGugan from a tight angle.

The fourth minute of stoppage time produced a few anxious seconds when City won a free kick and Forest struggled to clear the ball, but McCleary made the break and held the ball near the corner to prevent City from getting another chance before the final whistle went.

Nottingham Forest: Camp(C), Gunter, Morgan, Chambers, Lynch, Cohen, Moussi, McGugan, Tyson(McCleary 66min), Tudgay(Adebola 78min), Earnshaw(McGoldrick 87min)
Subs not used: Smith GK, Moloney, McKenna, Majewski,
Scorer: Chambers 47min

Bristol City: James, Fontaine, Caulker, Carey(C), Stewart, Elliott, Skuse, Campbell-Rice(Jackson 85min), Adomah, Pitman, Clarkson(Sproule 72min)
Subs not used: Gerken GK, McAllister, Edwards, Johnson, Cisse,

Referee: D S McDermid
Attendance: 19,694 away attn : 360

    Latest Match Reports