Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 08 Jan 11 at 16:56 PM

Preston North End 1 v 2 Nottingham Fore

Nottingham Forest progress to the next round of the FA Cup after a hard-fought game against Preston.

It was a good start from Forest and they dominated the first 20 minutes of the game but they let Preston back into the game allowing the home side to take the lead after 35 minutes and they looked comfortable for the remainder of the half.

Forest equalized early in the second half and both sides had chances to get a winner as the game increased in pace and Forest looked the more threatening towards the end. But it took until two minutes from normal time for Forest to get the elusive winner.

It was 15 minutes before Forest had a real chance from a Lewis McGugan free kick. Andy Lonergan fumbled his shot and it came out to Luke Chambers who also had an effort. The ball then came out to Joel Lynch and his effort was finally saved by the Preston keeper.

A good turn and shot by David McGoldrick on the edge of the penalty area almost gave Forest the lead when Lonergan dropped the ball and Billy Jones had to clear the ball from just outside the line.

As Forest gradually gained control of the game a good effort by McGugan from a slight angle was only just wide.

Preston missed a real chance from the corner when Craig Morgan got his head to the ball and glanced it across the face of goal and just wide of the far post.

And a good run by Paul Hayes got him away from Luke Chambers, forcing Lee Camp to make a diving save to his left to make a two-handed catch.

Preston missed another opportunity when Wes Morgan gave the ball away allowing Danny Mayor to get away but his effort was a long way off target.

The home side took the lead a minute later when the Forest defence stood and watched as Darren Carter curled the ball in from just outside the penalty area.

And the home side were in charge for the rest of the half as the Forest defence looked uncomfortable.

Forest were back in the game after equalizing five minutes into the second half from a lovely ball fed through by Robert Earnshaw to Paul Anderson whose speed got him away from two defenders, allowing him to send the ball under the keeper and low into the back of the net.

As Forest continued to press forward, a long-range effort by McGugan sent Lonergan diving to his right, but the ball was just wide of the target.

Forest made their first substitution of the game 23 minutes into the half when Dele Adebola came on to replace McGoldrick.

Forest started to put Preston under pressure and it nearly paid off when Anderson fed the ball through to Chris Gunter as he ran into the penalty area but his effort went just wide of the far post at a tight angle.

The second substitution saw Nathan Tyson replace Earnshaw with ten minutes remaining.

After Forest lost the ball from the corner a surging run by Preston gave them a chance of the winner when Mayor got away from Chambers to get a shot in and Camp did well to get to the ball and tip it over the bar.

A great run by Tyson got the ball forward to create a great opportunity when he looked up to play the ball to the feet of McGugan whose touch was poor and he allowed the ball to get away from him and Lonergan managed to leap on it.

With both sides fighting to get a winner the game finally had the feel of a cup tie.

Forest came close again from a free kick taken by McGugan, who drilled the ball towards the back post and it almost shaved the post as it curled just wide.

They finally took the lead from a corner two minutes from time. McGugan sent the ball over to the back post from where Joel Lynch sent it back across the face of goal to Chambers who put the ball into the top right corner from six yards out.

Abacus Business Consultancy

Nottingham Forest:Camp(C), Gunter, Morgan, Chambers, Lynch, Cohen, Moussi, Anderson(McCleary 84min), McGugan, McGoldrick(Adebola 68min), Earnshaw(Tyson 80min)
Subs: Smith, Majewski, Moloney, McKenna
Bookings: Chambers 25min, Moussi 86min
Scorer: Anderson 50min, Chambers 89min

Preston North End: Lonergan, Morgan, St Ledger(C), Brown(Hayes 15min), Nicholson (Douglas 90min), Treacy(Coutts 71min), Mayor, Jones, Russell, McLaughlin, Carter
Subs: Arestidou, Gray, Proctor, Wright
Bookings: Russell 90min
Scorer: Carter 35min

Referee: P Crossley
Attendance: 9,636

    Latest Match Reports