Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Mon 29 Nov 10 at 21:40 PM

Leicester City 1 v 0 Nottingham Forest

Nottingham Forest were outplayed by local rivals Leicester City who could well have had more than the single goal that gave them all three points if it had not been for the efforts of Luke Chambers and Lee Camp.

Both sides gave the ball away too often in the first half and it took time for either team to get anything on target, with the home side coming closest to getting on the scoresheet.

Leicester dominated much of the second half and troubled the Forest defence several times before being rewarded with a goal and came close on a number of occasions.

Neither side were able to keep possession for long in the opening 15 minutes of the game but Forest gradually built up the pressure, looking the more likely side to score.

Good build-up play by Forest created their first chance of the game and a good cross by Garath McCleary to Dele Adebola at the far post but he was under pressure and could only send his shot back across the face of goal and over the crossbar.

Leicester won a free kick just outside the penalty box and Chris Cohen picked up a yellow card when he upended Andy King, but the Forest wall effectively blocked Paul Gallagher's effort.

Leicester twice came close following a free kick in the 26th minute which ended with the ball flying around the six-yard box. Luke Chambers made the first save, clearing the ball off the line, but it came straight back in and a superb save by Lee Camp at point-blank range prevented the home side from going a goal up.

Forest were forced to take off Adebola after he failed to run off a knee injury, with Robert Earnshaw, who had been suffering from illness in the week, coming on in his place.

And the Forest substitute was quickly involved in the action when he was put clear on the right of the box and Chris Weale did well to come out and close him down.

Luke Chambers again prevented Leicester from taking the lead late in the half when Darius Vassell got the ball past Camp and the Forest defender reacted quickly to get back and clear it off the line.

And late into stoppage time Gallager was only just wide of the post with an effort from 12 yards out.

Leicester started the second half strongly and when the Forest defence were taken apart eight minutes into the half, only a great save by Camp, again at point blank range, stopped Leicester taking the lead.

They came close again from a great ball in by Richie Wellens to Roman Bednar inside the box, but he was beaten to the ball by Camp.

And seconds later Leicester split the Forest defence again to take the lead on the hour mark when Vassell broke into the box, seeing off three Forest players. His effort was deflected across the six-yard box by Camp to an unmarked King who had plenty of space to put the ball away.

Aaron Ramsey came on soon after, replacing Cohen and the loan signing was soon influential in winning the ball in midfield.

Nathan Tyson followed him on soon after, replacing McGugan, as Forest looked to get straight back into the game.

But it was Leicester that came close to scoring when King curled the ball round Chambers, sending it just wide of the post.

Tyson used his speed to make a great break down the right but Anderson was not quite able to get on the end of his cross into the box.

And a great shot from Tyson from the right forced an excellent save from Weale, who had to throw himself into the air to get on the end of the ball.

More excellent play by Leicester came close to producing a second goal when Wellens fed the ball out to King, who crossed it back in to substitute Steve Howards but his effort was well blocked by Camp.

And the home side continued to put all the pressure on until the final whistle.

Nottingham Forest: Camp(C), Gunter, Morgan, Chambers, Bertrand, Moussi, Cohen,(Ramsey 61min) McGugan(Tyson 69min), McCleary, Anderson, Adebola(Earnshaw 37min)
Subs not used: Smith(GK), Majewski, Wilson, Tudgay,
Bookings: Cohen 24min, Bertrand 45+1min

Leicester City: Weale, Gallagher(Waghorn 89min), King, Naughton, Wellens, Abe, Davies, Hobbs, Cunningham, Vassell(Dyer 72min), Bednar(Howard 80min)
Subs not used: Morrison, Oakley, Fryatt, Logan,
Scorer: King 59min

Referee: M Oliver
Attendance: 24,659

    Latest Match Reports