Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Wed 29 Dec 10 at 21:47 PM

Nottingham Forest 5 v 2 Derby County

Nottingham Forest regained the Brian Clough Trophy after a convincing 5-2 win over local rivals Derby County.

The atmosphere was electric before a ball had been kicked but The City Ground erupted when Forest went in front after two minutes. Although Derby got a quick one back, Forest dominated most of the first half and created the majority of chances, putting two more into the back of the net.

It was a more evenly matched second half with Forest starting well and adding to their goal tally. But after Derby got one back they looked the more likely side to score again as Forest lost some of their composure. But they finished the half in control with a fifth goal in stoppage time.

Forest took the lead just two minutes into the game from a well-taken corner by Raddy Majewski. The ball found Luke Chambers on the far side of the box and he headed it powerfully into the top of the net.

But Derby were back on level terms 12 minutes later after Alberto Bueno made a good break and fed the ball to Luke Moore, whose pace got him there ahead of Wes Morgan. Moore's effort hit the crossbar and bounced down outside the goal but then curled back into the net.

Forest came close to getting one straight back after a good run down the left by Ryan Bertrand. He crossed into the box where it eventually fell for Robert Earnshaw who missed the ball on the first attempt and his second was weak and was easily saved by Stephen Bywater.

And an effort from 25 yards by Majewski flew low towards goal but took a slight deflection before easily being saved by Bywater.

Forest were back in the lead after 24 minutes after some great work by Robert Earnshaw who turned and laid the ball beautifully across goal to Marcus Tudgay whose header hit the underside of the bar before going in over the line.

And they looked like getting another just a minute later when Earnshaw was clean through on goal and, with Bywater coming out to meet him, he lobbed the ball over the keeper, but it landed on the top of the net.

An injury to Bertrand forced an end to his game and his place was taken by Chris Cohen, ten minutes before half time.

Kris Commons had a half-chance with a shot from 20 yards out but the ball bounced tamely into the arms of Lee Camp, to loud cheers from the Trent End.

Superb work down the left by Nathan Tyson crated another chance. He weaved his way to the edge of the box and sent the ball across the face of goal but it evaded both Aaron Ramsey and Earnshaw.

And Tyson once again had Derby beaten down the left to set up Forest's third goal in stoppage time. He ran to the edge of the box before putting in a perfect cross to Tudgay who rose bravely between two Derby defenders to head the ball in.

Earnshaw missed a chance to score in the opening seconds of the second half when again he found himself one on one with the keeper, but as he tried to slide the ball past Bywater he seemed to lose his balance and the Derby keeper was able to parry it away.

Forest had another chance after winning the midfield battle and Tyson made another great run down the left, leaving the Derby defence behind. But, instead of crossing to any one of three Forest players, he tried a shot at a tight angle and sent the ball just wide of the far post.

But he didn't make the same mistake just seconds later when once again he won the ball on the left and put in a perfect cross to the centre of the penalty area just as Earnshaw ran in to toe-poke the ball past Bywater.

But Derby got one back just two minutes later from a free kick and Commons, unfazed by the boos of 29,000 Forest fans, sent the ball low under the wall and with Camp unable to see it, the ball went into the bottom left of the goal.

Forest strengthened their defence on the hour mark, replacing Ramsey with Kelvin Wilson.

Forest lost their composure for a while as Derby pushed forward more often than they had in the first half but the away side failed to take advantage of their chances, although they came close when Chris Porter sent the ball flying across the face of goal without anyone getting on the end of it.

Nathan Tyson received a standing ovation for his excellent performance when he went off ten minutes before time, to be replaced by Paul Anderson.

A perfect cross by Tudgay into the centre of the penalty area fell for Earnshaw but, under the challenge of Shaun Barker, he sent the ball flying over the bar.

Forest regained their composure in the closing minutes as they took control back and the game finished perfectly when Earnshaw blasted the ball past Bywater in stoppage time to make it 5-2.

Nottingham Forest: Camp(C), Gunter, Morgan, Chambers, Bertrand(Cohen38min), Moussi, Majewski, Ramsey(Wilson 60min), Tyson(Anderson 79min), Tudgay, Earnshaw
Subs not used: Smith(GK), McCleary, McGugan, Adebola
Bookings: Moussi, Earnshaw 90min
Scorers: Chambers 2min, Tudgay 24min, 45+1min, Earnshaw 53min, 90+3min

Derby County: Bywater, Leacock, Brayford, Barker(C), Moxey, Bailey, Green, Cywka(Davies 83min), Commons, Bueno(Porter 72min), Moore
Subs not used: Deeney(GK), Addison, Pringle, Pearson, Doyle,
Bookings: Leacock 8min, Moxey 22min, Commons 57min
Scorer: Moore 14min, Commons 55min

Referee: A Bates
Attendance: 29,490 Away attn: 4,341

    Latest Match Reports