Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sun 15 Aug 10 at 15:11 PM

Nottingham Forest 1 v 1 Leeds United

In spite of an excellent start, Nottingham Forest had to be satisfied with a point from their first home game of the season.

Forest dominated the opening period of the first half, producing some excellent football as they pressed forward and they were rewarded with a goal after nine minutes.

But Leeds came more into the game as the half progressed and got a goal back after 36 minutes.

Chances were few and far between in the second half and in the end Forest did well to not concede a second goal.

It was a lively start, with Forest having a good chance in the second minute when Chris Cohen sent the ball down the right to Chris Gunter. It was a beautiful cross from Gunter, finding Dexter Blackstock's head. He flicked the ball across the face of goal to Radoslaw Majewski whose superb effort was cleared off the line by Kasper Schmeichel.

It took Forest just nine minutes to take the lead from another superb cross from Gunter. The ball went across the face of goal to Blackstock who guided the ball into the bottom corner of the net with his head.

And they came close four minutes later after some excellent link-up play which ended when a superb shot by Robert Earnshaw at a tight angle went flying off the far post.

It was 23 minutes before Leeds had any sort of chance when Luciano Becchio's effort forced Lee Camp to come out of his goal to dive bravely and smother the ball.

Leeds put more pressure on and it finally paid off in the 36
th minute with a carbon copy of Forest's earlier goal.The cross by Bradley Johnson came in from the left and went across the face of goal to Lloyd Sam whose header from the far side of the penalty area beat Camp and went into the bottom corner of the net.

Forest tried to get back in front with a break and Paul Anderson's effort from 30 yards out was only just over the crossbar.

It was a messy start to the second half with both sides giving the ball away too easily.

Leeds came close ten minutes into the half when Sam's cross went across the face of goal without anyone being able to get on the end of the ball.

With Forest struggling to find their first-half form, Anderson was replaced by Garath McCleary just after the hour mark.

And Nathan Tyson came on not long after, replacing Majewski.

Leeds put sustained pressure on the Forest goal until Sanchez Watt's free kick flew across the face of goal and just wide for a goal kick.

But they were quickly back on the attack, with the Leeds supporters, packing out the Bridgford End, urging them on.

There was a pause in play after Camp picked up a head injury which needed treatment, a bandage and a new shirt.

Both Gunter and Watt went into the referee's book with ten minutes remaining after an off the ball incident that resulted in a fracas in front of Camp's goal.

Guy Moussi became Forest's final substitute, replacing Blackstock with six minutes to go.

Leeds continued to test Forest and came close when Neil Kilkenny was only just wide from 20 yards.

There were six minutes stoppage time for either side to try and get the winning goal and Forest finally got the ball forward with Tyson making a good run down the left before being pulled back and finally getting a cross in, which was saved by Schmeichel.

Abacus Business Consultancy

Nottingham Forest: Camp, Gunter, Morgan, Wilson, Bertrand, Cohen, Majewski(Tyson,68min), McKenna(C), Anderson(McCleary 62min), Earnshaw, Blackstock(Moussi 84min)
Subs not used: Darlow(GK), Chambers, Thornhill, Adebola
Bookings: Bertrand 68min, Wilson 75min, Gunter 81min
Scorer: Blackstock 9min

Leeds United: Schmeichel, Connolly, Collins, Naylor(C), Kilkenny, Becchio, Sam(Clayton 89min), Hoswon, Johnson, Watt, Bessone
Subs not used: Bruce, Higgs(GK), Grella,, Hughes, Bromby, White
Bookings: Kilkenny 53min, Watt 81min
Scorer: Sam 36min

Referee: T Bates
Attendance: 24,986 Away attn:4,240

    Latest Match Reports