Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 02 Oct 10 at 16:57 PM

Doncaster Rovers 1 v 1 Nottingham Forest

Nottingham Forest's unbeaten run continues after a hard-fought game saw them share the points with Doncaster Rovers.

Doncaster dominated in the early stages and although Forest took a while to get going they were first to get on the scoresheet. In spite of conceding soon after, they had the better of the chances and looked the better side at the break.

The tempo of the match built throughout the second half, culminating in a frantic final ten minutes as both sides went all out to try and get a winner.

Chances were few and far between in the opening stages of the game with Doncaster coming closest to a goal in the19th minute.

The danger came from a through ball by Billy Sharp who crossed to Martin Woods as he got goalside of Wes Morgan but he was closed down by Guy Moussi who made the challenge to put the ball out for a corner.

Forest finally came to life after a good break in which Lewis McGugan got clear and crossed the ball in to Dexter Blackstock, but he was closed down and the ball was put out for a corner.

And from the corner Paul Anderson teed the ball up for McGugan who shot low from the edge of the penalty area and fired in a rocket, forcing Neil Sullivan to dive low to his right to make a superb save, although the offside flag had gone up.

Forest took the lead just in the 28th minute from Paul McKenna's corner. The ball was headed in by Anderson, Moussi headed the second one down and the ball went back across the face of goal where it found an unmarked Blackstock on the far post. He was quick to take advantage and slotted the ball home from very close range.

But Doncaster were back on level terms from a free kick just four minutes later. John Oster took it quickly and the ball curled in towards the far post where an unmarked Adam Lockwood headed it in.

Forest made a great move forward to create a chance just before half time. It started with a good break from midfield which saw Blackstock and Anderson combine well to get the ball forward to McGugan, whose shot from inside the D forced Sullivan to dive and palm the ball away for a corner.

A good, quick move by Doncaster saw them have the first chance of the second half with a good break down the left and Morgan could not prevent Sharp from making the cross to James Hayter whose header was only just wide.

And the home side had another chance when Sharp twisted and turned quickly to get away from Morgan but his shot was well blocked by Luke Chambers.

Twenty minutes into the half, Nathan Tyson replaced Chris Cohen who went off holding his right arm after an earlier collision with Lockwood.

The Forest striker was very quickly in the middle of the action when ball ran kindly to him and his first shot of the game had to be put out for a corner.

Doncaster put the pressure on Forest when James Coppinger and Hayter both found themselves in too much space but Hayter's shot headed straight to Lee Camp's feet and he was able to make the save.

Tyson came close for Forest from a free kick. Chambers made a dive to get his head on the end of the ball but it flashed across the six-yard box and went clear.

It was a frantic end to the game and Doncaster came close to a late winner when Moussi tried a clearance which only went as far as the edge of his own box but, luckily for Forest, substitute Mark Wilson's effort found the crossbar.

Both sides went all out to try and get the winner and Forest substitute David McGoldrick tried a shot on the turn, but it was an easy save for Sullivan.

And Anderson's cross in the 90th minute was just too high for the Forest strikers who made a run into the box to try and get on the end of it.

Well into the four minutes stoppage time Forest's third substitute Dele Adebola put the ball into the path of McGoldrick but good defending from George Friend kept the home side level.

The last shot of the game, from James O'Connor's cross, gave Sharp a great chance to get the ball in the top corner of the net and take all three points, but his effort was just wide.

Nottingham Forest: Camp, Gunter, Chambers, Morgan, Bertrand, Moussi, McKenna, McGugan(McGoldrick 74min), Cohen(Tyson 68min), Anderson, Blackstock(Adebola 82min)
Subs not used: Darlow(GK), Wilson, McCleary, Majewski,
Bookings: Cohen 51min, Bertrand 54min, McGoldrick 90+3min
Scorer: Blackstock 28min

Doncaster Rovers: Sullivan, O'Connor, Friend, Lockwood, Woods(C), Oster(Wilson 85min), Gillett(Stock 76min(, Dumbuya(Hird 88min), Coppinger, Sharp, Hayter
Subs not used: Woods, Webster, Shiels, Fairhurst
Bookings: Oster 77min
Scorer: Lockwood 32min

Referee: G Salisbury
Attendance: 10,759

    Latest Match Reports