Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 28 Sep 10 at 21:48 PM

Nottingham Forest 1 v 1 Sheffield United

An excellent second half performance by Nottingham Forest ensured that they keep their unbeaten run going in what was a hard-fought, physical game.

Sheffield United took an early lead and threatened the goal on a number of occasions, but a good performance by Lee Camp ensured that it was the only goal in the first half.

United started the second half well but Forest gradually took charge and got the equalizer courtesy of captain Paul McKenna in the 69th minute.

Forest piled the pressure on the United goal, but they defended effectively and held on to share the points.

Nottingham Forest started with the same side that played so well against Swansea on Saturday and they looked lively from the start.

It wasn't long before Lewis McGugan was on the attack with a good run down the left before firing over a cross. Paul Anderson made the run to the far post and Stephen Jordan did well to intercept the ball to make the clearance.

And Forest threatened again with a long, high cross from Chris Cohen which was picked up by Anderson who found Dexter Blackstock whose effort was saved at the near post by Steve Simonsen.

But it was Sheffield United who went in front after six minutes with their first chance of the game, from a free kick. It was good delivery by Stephen Jordan, swinging the ball in to the six-yard box where Richard Cresswell's diving header had Lee Camp beaten.

United were almost two up when Guy Moussi made an error to give the ball away to Daniel Bogdanovic in midfield. He was clear on goal with the Forest defence struggling to keep up and it took a magnificent save by Camp, who came out to smother the ball, to stop them increasing their early lead.

Forest came close to an equalizer after a good ball forward by Wes Morgan, which was headed down by Blackstock for McGugan as he came running in to the edge of the penalty area and his shot was only just wide of the post.

Another good save from Camp who had no time to react to a volley from Jordan who pounced quickly on the ball.

Forest threatened again with a good run by Paul McKenna down the right. He put the ball through to Chris Gunter whose superb cross gave Anderson a chance, but he wasn't able to make contact with the ball.

MarkYates forced another good save from Camp when he lobbed the ball in from the edge of the penalty area and the Forest keeper did well to put the ball over the bar for a corner.

Forest had a chance just before half time when Cohen did well to win the ball in midfield and cross to McGugan who controlled the ball well, but Simonsen went down to his right to make the save.

United looked the more organised at the start of the second half, efficiently defending their lead.

Forest made a good break when Moussi found McGugan down the right. He made a great run clear and crossed the ball across the face of goal, but it was just too early for Blackstock to get on the end of.

With Forest struggling to take command of the game up front it was not long before Dele Adebola was brought on to replace Moussi.

They had a chance not long after from Anderson's corner but Morgan was under pressure when he rose inside the box and his header went wide.

Forest finally got the equaliser 23 minutes into the second half when Ryan Bertrand saw McKenna unmarked 25 yards out and put the cross in to him. McKenna's shot flew high towards goal and Simonsen rose to get a hand to the ball but was not able to keep it out of the net.

Nathan Tyson became the second Forest substitute of the game, replacing Anderson with 20 minutes remaining.

And Tyson's speed was effective almost immediately as he made a great run down the left before putting in a cross at a tight angle, but the ball was blocked.

The City Ground crowd came to life as Forest were in full flow as they attacked the United goal, with an effort by Bertrand from 25 yards forcing Simonsen to dive forward and pounce on the ball.

There was a delay to the game following a clash of heads between Adebola and Kyle Bartley and the United player had to be stretchered off.

McGugan was denied the chance to score in this game when he was replaced with eight minutes remaining by Garath McCleary.

Forest continued to battle for the winner and continued to do so to the end of the six minutes of stoppage time, but time finally ran out and they had to be satisfied with a point.

Abacus Business Consultancy

Nottingham Forest: Camp, Gunter, Chambers, Morgan, Bertrand, Moussi(Adebola 60min), McKenna, McGugan(McCleary 83min), Cohen, Anderson(Tyson 72min), Blackstock.
Subs not used: Darlow(GK), Wilson, McGoldrick, Majewski
Bookings: McGugan 62min
Scorer: McKenna 69min

Sheffield United: Simonsen, Jordan, Nosworthy, Montgomery(C), Ertl, Britton, Bogdanovic(Evans 67min), Yeates, Cresswell, Bartley(Lowton 83min), De Laet(Calve 88min).
Subs not used: Taylor, Quinn, Wright(GK), Slew
Bookings: Montgomery 36min, Ertl 44min
Scorer: Cresswell 6min

Referee: M Russell
Attendance 19,782 away attn: 1,178

    Latest Match Reports