Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 18 Sep 10 at 19:17 PM

Hull City 0 - 0 Nottingham Forest

With neither side able to find their goalscoring form, Nottingham Forest would have been pleased with a point and a clean sheet away from home at Hull.

It was an uninspiring first half, with both sides struggling to get in front of goal and while Hull managed a few long-range shots, Forest failed to get a single effort on target.

Forest looked a different side after the break and threatened for much of the half before Hull came back into it towards the end.

Jimmy Bullard had the first chance on target in the fourth minute when he sent a shot flying towards goal from at least 30 yards out and Lee Camp had to stretch to tip the ball over the bar.

Ryan Bertrand tried a shot from 20 yards when he found himself unmarked but his effort went across goal and just wide of the far post.

A poor clearance by Chris Cohen provided John Bostock with a chance when the ball came back in front of goal and Camp was relieved to see the shot go wide of the post.

Forest came close from a free kick after Robert Earnshaw was brought down by Bullard and Lewis McGugan's effort, from 30 yards out to the left, was only just wide of the post.

A slow build-up by Hull, who seemed to pass the ball endlessly around midfield, was finally rewarded as Bostock broke through the Forest defence to get a shot on target, but it was an easy save for Camp.

As the half progressed chances were non-existent as both sides cancelled each other out, leading to a stalemate that provided little entertainment for the crowd.

Forest looked much improved after the break and got the ball forward much more effectively, causing the Hull defence all sorts of problems.

Great delivery from the corner by McGugan gave Luke Chambers a real chance of putting Forest in front, but his header from four yards went wide.

And Forest came close again after a beautiful cross in by Paul McKenna to Earnshaw whose difficult header was only just wide.

As Hull struggled to get the ball down the other end at all, they made a double substitution to try and improve their play.

Earnshaw thought he had put Forest in front less than a minute later when he picked up the ball and ran clear, lifting the ball over the Hull keeper to watch it land in the back of the net before seeing the offside flag.

It was to be Earnshaw's last involvement in the game as he picked up an injury and was substituted with 18 minutes remaining, replaced by Dexter Blackstock.

With fifteen minutes to go Hull started to push forward and they started to threaten the Forest goal, with a good block by Chambers pushing Mark Cullen's effort out for a corner.

And the home side continued to put pressure on as the game went into four minutes stoppage time.

Forest got the ball forward in the final two minutes but they too were unable to find the elusive winner.

Nottingham Forest: Camp, Gunter, Chambers, Morgan, Bertrand, McKenna(Majewski, 88min), Moussi, Anderson(Tyson 83min), Cohen, McGugan, Earnshaw(Blackstock 72min)
Subs not used: Darlow, Lynch, McCleary, Adebola,,

Hull City: Duke, McShane, Ayala, Gerrard, Dawson, Bostock(Barmby 69min), Koren, Bullard, Cairney, Fagan(Cullen 69min), Simpson(Atkinson 83min).
Subs not used: Oxley, Kilbane, Ashbee, Garcia,
Bookings: Dawson 56min, McShane 65min,

Referee: M Halsey
Attendance: 21,180

    Latest Match Reports