Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 12 Apr 11 at 21:51 PM

Nottingham Forest 2 v 0 Burnley

Nottingham Forest's play-off hopes were given a boost as they finished just a point behind sixth place Leeds United, after a 2-0 win against Burnley and a superb performance by Lewis McGugan.

It was a poor first half, with hardly a chance for either team until late in the half, after Burnley went down to ten men after Marvin Bartley was red-carded for a challenge on Luke Chambers. With the extra man, Forest started to look like they might take advantage.

The second half was far better, with Forest dominating much of the play and creating numerous chances, but it was 73 minutes before they finally took the lead, courtesy of substitute David McGoldrick, who had only just come on. And it was McGoldrick again, who secured the win with a stoppage time second goal.

It was a quiet first 30 minutes with neither goalkeeper really troubled and with both teams giving the ball away too often in midfield for any good passing football to show itself for long periods.

It was half an hour before either side had a chance and the first one fell to Burnley when the ball was crossed into the penalty area. Wes Morgan was only able to partially clear the ball and it fell for Chris Eagles who looked to have sent Lee Camp the wrong way but the Forest keeper managed to get back enough to kick the ball over his own crossbar.

Less than two minutes later Burnley were down to ten men when Bartley went in with both feet and showing his studs on Chambers, who went down in considerable pain and had to receive treatment before being able to carry on.

Forest had a chance soon after with a free kick wide on the left. The ball was blasted in by Lewis McGugan but it crashed off Robert Earnshaw and went clear.

Forest started to take advantage of the extra man as the half drew to a close and threatened with a good cross from the left by McGugan but Michael Duff managed to block his effort before Garath McCleary could get on the end of it, for Forest's first corner of the game on 42 minutes.

And just before the three minutes stoppage time McGugan threatened again when he turned his defender and shoot from the left forcing Brian Jensen to dive low to his left to make the save.

There was more tempo to the start of the second half, with Forest looking much more lively attacking the Trent End.

Forest had a chance early on when they won a free kick when Robert Earnshaw was brought down by Andre Bikey. McGugan took it well, curling the ball past the wall and into the box where Chambers dived in to try and get on the end of it, but the ball carried on just outside the far post.

More good work by McGugan threatened the Burnley defence when he turned his defender to find himself some space on the left to fire a cross into the six-yard box, where Jensen pounced before Guy Moussi could get on the end of it.

And a great free kick by McGugan, just to the left of centre and just outside the box, forced a good save by Jensen who parried the ball, which came out to Earnshaw who nodded the ball off the crossbar.

Another great save by Jensen, coming out to smother the danger, denied Earnshaw a chance to get the first goal of the game when he beat his man to try a shot from six yards out.

A rare break by Burnley gave them a chance when Dean Marney shot from 25 yards and Camp had to react quickly to dive down and smother the ball.

As Forest were still unable to take advantage of the extra man, a double substitution saw Radi Majewski and David McGoldrick come on for Moussi and Marcus Tudgay respectively.

And practically the first thing McGoldrick did was to put Forest in front from another well-taken free kick by McGugan on the left. The ball took a deflection and McGoldrick was the first to get to it, turning and sending the ball home from inside the six-yard box.

A superb break by McGugan after he picked up a ball from Paul McKenna almost doubled Forest's lead when he smashed the ball from the edge of the penalty area, forcing another good save from the Burnley keeper.

Brendon Moloney received a standing ovation for his performance on his first start of the season, when he became Forest's final substitute, replaced by Chris Gunter with nine minutes remaining.

A late break by Burnley gave Forest a fright when the ball came into the penalty area and bounced up for substitute Chris Iwelumo who headed towards goal, but straight into the arms of Camp.

But Forest secured the win in stoppage time with good work down the right by McGugan who crossed to Earnshaw on the other side of the box. He sent the ball in to McGoldrick who finished well to score his second of the night from 13 yards out.

Nottingham Forest: Camp, Moloney(Gunter, 82min), Morgan, Chambers, Konchesky, McGugan, McKenna(C), Moussi(Majewski 71min), McCleary, Tudgay(McGoldrick
71min), Earnshaw.
Subs not used: Darlow, Bennett, , Boyd, Adebola
Bookings: McKenna 33min, Konchesky 51min
Scorer: McGoldrick 73min, 90+3min

Burnley: Jensen, Mears, Duff, Bikey(Thompson, 87min), Fox, Eagles,(Wallace63min) Cork, Marney(C), Bartley, Elliott(Iwelumo 80min), Delfouneso.
Subs not used: Grant, Carlisle, Alexander, Duffy
Bookings: Bartley 32min RED CARD, Bikey 49min, Fox 65min, Duff 72min)

Referee: J.Moss
Attendance: 19,411 away attn: 626

    Latest Match Reports