Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 12 Mar 11 at 17:01 PM

Nottingham Forest 0 v 0 Doncaster Rovers

Nottingham Forest missed an opportunity to take all three points and move back into fourth place  in a game where they dominated much of the play but failed to take advantage.

Forest created some promising moves in the first half but they were frustrating in front of goal and only twice troubled the Doncaster keeper.

The second half was more evenly matched, with Doncaster having their share of chances but although Forest again created some good moves going forward they were unable to finish the game off.

Forest dominated the opening stages of the game as they pushed their way through the Doncaster defence again and again but without testing the Doncaster goalkeeper.

Doncaster struggled to get the ball down the other end but tried two long-range shots that were always going high over the crossbar

Forest created a good move when Marcus Tudgay fed the ball through to Chris Gunter who went flying down the right and sent the ball low across the face of goal, but Garath McCleary could not get to it in time.

Great work by Paul McKenna started another good run for Forest, feeding the ball through to McCleary who was blocked by a Doncaster defender before he could get a cross in to Tudgay.

Mark Wilson came close for Doncaster with a shot from 20 yards which was only just over the bar.

And the Doncaster fans thought their side had taken the lead on the half hour mark from a free kick, but the ball went over the crossbar and bounced back onto the top of the net.

Forest had their first shot on target ten minutes before half time with a long range shot from Radi Majewski and Gary Woods went down to his right to make his first save of the game.

They created another chance with a great diagonal ball from Paul Konchesky in to Tudgay whose shot from the top of the D spun just wide of the post.

And they were gifted a chance just before the break after George Friend miss-kicked and the ball fell for Earnshaw inside the penalty area and Woods did well to come out and close him down.

Earnshaw went down soon after with what looked like a hamstring and went off in the 45th minute.

Forest were unable to make the substitution in time at the end of the first half and he was replaced at the start of the second by Nathan Tyson.

The game struggled to get going and Forest gave the ball away far too often in the first ten minutes, putting no pressure on the Doncaster goal until a push forward that was instigated by a shot from Luke Chambers which was deflected out for a corner.

Loan signing Krid Boyd came on just after the hour mark, replacing Majewski.

A rare break from Doncaster came close to giving them the lead when substitute Ryan Mason's long-range effort had Lee Camp beaten and he was only just wide of the far post.

And with Forest still not creating anything Lewis McGugan became Forest's final substitute, replacing Tudgay.

But it was Doncaster who came close again after Forest once again lost the ball and Mason's shot went just wide of the far post.

A break down the right by Forest finished with a good cross in from Gunter and Tyson's header flashed wide of the post

And when McCleary smashed the ball diagonally in from the right he was denied by a superb clearance off the line by Sam Hird.

With six minutes to go good work by McGugan got the ball in to McCleary who had a chance to get a late goal but he took too much time to get the ball under control and his shot from near the penalty spot was blocked by Friend and went out for a corner.

A good break by Doncaster threatened but James Coppinger's shot went past Camp and out past the far post.

The ball was soon back down the other end and Cohen's effort from the right was punched away by Woods to prevent Tyson from getting on the end of it.

A home debut goal was beckoning for Boyd when Tyson made the break on the left and held the ball up before crossing it to Boyd ,but he completely missed the ball with his kick from the penalty spot.

Nottingham Forest: Camp, Gunter, Morgan, Chambers, Konchesky, McCleary, Cohen, McKenna(C), Majewski(Boyd 61min), Tudgay(McGugan 70min), Earnshaw(Tyson 45minHT)
Subs not used: Darlow(GK), Bennett, Anderson, Adebola,
Bookings: Morgan 81min

Doncaster Rovers: Woods, Coppinger, Stock, Moussa, Friend, Hayter, Wilson(Mason 63min), Gillett, Mills, Hird(Dumbuya 77min), Martis(Kilgallon 55min)
Subs not used: Bradshaw, Shiels, Souza, Euell
Bookings: Hayter 90 +3min

Referee: K P Stroud
Attendance: 25,442 away attn: 1,011

    Latest Match Reports