Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 05 Mar 11 at 17:01 PM

Nottingham Forest 0 v 1 Hull City

Nottingham Forest's 18-month unbeaten home League run finally came to an end after being beaten by a determined second-half performance from Hull City, in their first visit to The City Ground for 30 years.

Forest had more of the possession and created most of the chances in the first half but neither keeper was seriously tested and the half finished goalless.

It was Hull that finally broke the deadlock in the second half and after that they looked the better side as they defended in numbers to frustrate Forest's efforts to get an equalizer.

Forest made a quick break in the second minute and the flag stayed down for Robert Earnshaw whose volley from 20 yards went over the keeper but also over the crossbar.

And Hull threatened a minute later from the corner. The ball was headed away by Marcus Tudgay but came back in and was blocked amongst a crowd of players.

Forest came close in the tenth minute from Lewis McGugan's corner. The ball came in to Paul Anderson whose shot was deflected towards Earnshaw who sent it over the bar.

And they had another chance from the corner when Chris Cohen's ball was punched away, but only as far as Majewski who sent the ball flying towards goal where it was blocked by Anthony Gerrard.

Forest created some nice build-up play which culminated in Anderson laying the ball back to Tudgay, who shot straight at the keeper from the edge of the penalty area.

Good end-to-end football saw both teams create chances, with Forest pressing harder, but without getting a shot on goal.

Strong defending by Forest in stoppage time cleared the danger, with Matt Fryatt's effort blocked by Cohen, after a late push by Hull.

In the final minute a good cross by Cohen into the box threatened, but the ball was headed behind by Gerrard to stop Earnshaw getting on the end of it.

It was a lively start to the second half with both sides pushing forward in an attempt to break the deadlock.

Forest won a free kick just outside the penalty area, to the left of the D, when Cohen went down under the challenge of Liam Rosenior.Earnshaw took it well and the ball flicked off the top of the wall and over the bar for a corner.

It was Hull who finally broke the deadlock after James Chester won the ball in midfield and sent the ball through to Fryatt who ran into the penalty area and rolled the ball pas a diving Camp and into the far corner of the net.

Forest made a substitution straight after with Garath McCleary replacing McGugan and five minutes later Niall Rodney replaced Earnshaw.

Forest created a chance when Anderson sent the ball out wide to McCleary who sent it back into the box where Gunter ran onto the ball, but his effort was blocked by a solid Hull defence.

Forest continued to put pressure on but with an equalizer eluding them Dele Adebola became the final substitute for Forest, replacing Anderson.

Hull frustrated the Forest players and supporters alike as they wasted as much time as the referee would allow them.

As time started to run out, Forest got a shot in when Cohen's ball into the box found Morgan's head, forcing Mannone to dive to his left to make the save.

And Majewski's effort from a tight angle across the face of goal was only just wide of the far post.

There was a loud cheer as the fourth official's board showed five minutes stoppage time and the home crowd got behind their team.

There was one last chance when Gerrard put the ball out for a corner and with Camp coming all the way up, Forest had all 11 payers inside the box, but Hull were able to keep the ball out.

Nottingham Forest: Camp(C), Gunter, Morgan, Chambers, Konchesky, Anderson(Adebola 78min), Cohen, Majewski, McGugan(McCleary 65min), Tudgay, Earnshaw(Rodney 70min)
Subs not used: Smith(GK), Bennett, Moloney, McGoldrick,
Bookings: Tudgay 43min

Hull City: Mannone, Dawson(C), Harper, Fryatt, Chester, Koren(Hobbs 79min), Gerrard, Evans, Simpson(Amoo 57min), Rosenior, McLean(Barmby 57min)
Subs not used: Oxley, Garcia, Cairney, Belaid
Bookings: Fryatt 67min Dawson 90+1min)
Scorer: Fryatt 64min

Referee: S A Hooper
Attendance: 25,119 away attn:3,412

    Latest Match Reports