Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 26 Feb 11 at 16:59 PM

Millwall 0 v 0 Nottingham Forest

In spite of a solid performance Nottingham Forest had to be satisfied with a point after a goalless draw at Millwall.

The first half was goalless but Forest would have been the happier going in at the break, having created more chances on goal and pinning Millwall back so that Lee Camp was hardly troubled.

Forest worked hard throughout the second half and looked the more likely to score, putting all the pressure on towards the end of the game.

It was a lively start to the game although it was nine minutes before the first chance on goal and that fell for Millwall. After a quick break Steve Morison's effort was headed away by Luke Chambers but only as far as Hameur Bouazza who headed over from 12 yards out.

A great run by Radi Majewski created a chance for Forest but the final ball from Joel Lynch was deflected out for a corner.

And a long-range effort by Lewis McGugan forced David Forde to scramble for the ball to put it out for another corner.

Forest created some good build-up play 25 minutes into the half when Chris Cohen chipped the ball to Lynch, who made a great run forward before crossing the ball across the face of goal and it only just evaded David McGoldrick as he threw himself forward.

Forest had a chance from a well-struck free kick but McGugan's effort from 30 yards took a deflection, the power of his shot so strong that it knocked Darren Purse over.

The loud boos from around the ground at half time were for the referee who was immensely unpopular with the home crowd for some of his decisions, which included booking three of their players. Forest created a chance early in the second half when Lynch made a run to the edge of the box and fed the ball to Majewski whose effort was only just wide of the post.

And great play by McGugan threatened the Millwall defence as he weaved his way through before getting his shot in, forcing Forde to put the ball out for a corner.

Majewski made way for Marcus Tudgay just after the hour mark and Forest switched to playing two up front.

Good defensive work by both teams meant that chances were few and far between and it was some time before Tudgay got a touch of the ball.

Forest won a corner following a break forward an the ball fell for Anderson who fed the ball into the penalty area as Chris Gunter made the run in but it was deflected out for a corner.

After a double substitution by Millwall, Garath McCleary came on for Anderson and the Forest player was straight into the action when McGugan sent the ball flying in to him and his touch forced a save from Forde.

And from the corner Forde had to react quickly to punch McGugan's effort away.

Forest's final substitution, with ten minutes remaining, saw a hard-working McGoldrick replaced by Robert Earnshaw.

There was a chance for Forest from a great run from the half-way line by McCleary, who got away from three players before firing the ball towards goal from the edge of the box, but Forde made another save.

Forest put all the pressure on as the game neared its end, with Earnshaw going just wide from 18 yards and they came close when McGugan tried to pick out Earnshaw, but the Forest striker could not quite get on the end of the ball.

It was all Forest as the four minutes stoppage time ticked away and with seconds remaining they missed a great chance when Earnshaw mis-kicked the ball from the right side of the penalty area.

Nottingham Forest: Camp, Gunter, Morgan, Chambers, Lynch, Cohen, McKenna(C), Majewski(Tudgay 63min), Anderson(McCleary 74min), McGugan, McGoldrick(Earnshaw,
Subs: Smith(GK), Moloney,Rodney, Adebola,
Bookings: McGoldrick 48min, Tudgay 82min

Millwall: Forde, Dunne, Craig, Trotter, Robinson, Purse, Bouazza(Lisbie 73min), Mkandawire, Harris(Schofield 73min), Morison, Henry
Subs not used: Mildenhall(GK), Eastmond, Barron, Ward, Rowlands
Bookings: Henry 12min, Bouazza 20min, MKandawire 45min

Referee: K Hill

    Latest Match Reports