Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 22 Feb 11 at 22:00 PM

Nottingham Forest 2 v 2 Preston North E

Nottingham Forest kept their unbeaten home League run intact but dropped to fourth place after being held to a draw by bottom of the table Preston.

It was a poor first half with Forest creating few chances and giving the ball away too easily and when they gifted Preston a goal the away side defended in numbers to frustrate Forest.

Forest got the equalizer early in the second half but, with Preston closing them down effectively, it was stoppage time before Forest got what looked like being the winner. But it wasn't to be as Preston came back at them to get a last minute equalizer.

Forest created their first chance four minutes into the half when David McGoldrick got past two defenders to feed the ball into the box but after a scramble Iain Turner was able to grab the ball.

And a good cross by Paul Konchesky picked out Chris Cohen and his effort from 18 yards was only just wide of the mark.

Forest missed a chance when Cohen fed the ball to Paul McKenna who, in plenty of space from 12 yards out, sent it over the crossbar.

The City Ground were stunned into silence when Preston took the lead 15 minutes into the game. It came from a good cross by Keith Treacy to the far post where an unmarked Barry Nicholson headed the ball in.

And Lee Camp had to dive to his left to make a save to stop Preston going two up when Billy Jones curled the ball in from 25 yards.

Buoyed on by their goal, Preston gave Forest few chances to get forward, but they eventually got back into the game.

They came close when Konchesky's cross flew across the 6-yard box to Paul Anderson who stretched to send the ball back across the goal, but it had too much pace on it for Marcus Tudgay to turn it goalwards.

But Preston defended in numbers to limit Forest's chances and it took until just before the break before they had another chance when Cohen got the ball forward to Tudgay, whose header was tipped over the bar by Turner for a corner.

After a scrappy start to the second half Forest got back on level terms nine minutes into the half. The ball was played to McGoldrick who turned and knocked the ball in to Anderson. His shot was blocked and the ball came back out to Konchesky who volleyed in at the far post.

Following a double substitution by Preston, Forest's first substitution, on the hour mark, saw Dele Adebola come on in place of Tudgay.

And with Konchesky limping around the pitch with what looked like a hamstring problem, he was replaced not long after by Joel Lynch.

As Forest battled to find a winning goal, McGoldrick tried a shot from 25 yards which was easily saved by Turner and, with the ball being played end-to-end Preston had two efforts off-target.

Nialle Rodney made his second substitute appearance of the season when he came on for McGoldrick with 15 minutes remaining.

And the young striker came close to finding the target eight minutes from time after great delivery in from Cohen to Rodney, whose effort went off the post and out for a goal kick.

Forest put pressure on late in the half with a cross into the box by Adebola towards Anderson whose cross back across goal was put out for a corner.

And Adebola's header from Rodney's cross went straight into the hands of Turner.

Forest took the lead in stoppage time when they won a free kick wide on the right. Cohen curled the ball superbly into the 6-yard box and with Luke Chambers claiming to have got a touch on it the rest of the Forest team went running out to Cohen to congratulate him on scoring.

But it wasn't over and as Preston put the pressure back on they got back on level terms six minutes into the five minutes of stoppage time. It came from a cross from wide on the right which found Jones who headed in from 12 yards out.

Nottingham Forest: Camp, Gunter, Morgan, Chambers, Konchesky(Lynch, 67min), Anderson, Cohen, McKenna(C), McGugan, McGoldrick(Rodney 76min), Tudgay(Adebola 61min)
Subs not used: Smith(GK), Moloney, McCleary ,
Bookings: McGugan 41min, McGoldrick 57min, McKenna 83min
Scorers: Konchesky 54min Cohen 90+3min

Preston: Turner, St Ledger(C), Coutts(Barton 59min), Nicholson, Treacy, Gray, Ellington(Hayes 87min), Jones, Ashbee, Johnson(Clarke 59min), Cort.
Subs not used: Lonergan(GK), Morgan, Parry, Carter
Bookings: Nicholson 64min, Ashbee 75min Jones 90+6min
Scorers: Nicholson 16min, Jones 90+6min

Referee: D.Deadman
Attendance: 28,310 Away attn: 677

    Latest Match Reports