Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 05 Feb 11 at 16:59 PM

Nottingham Forest 1 v 0 Watford

Nottingham Forest finish the day in second place with a successive sixth League win, against a strong Watford side.

Forest took the lead in the opening minute but both sides looked dangerous on the break throughout the first half and good end-to-end football produced an exciting first 45 minutes, with surprisingly few shots on goal.

It was a hard battle in the second half with both sides again pushing forward but Forest held on to take all three points and a clean sheet.

It took just 50 seconds for Forest to take the lead after Chris Cohen got away from his man and put in an excellent cross to Robert Earnshaw. He controlled the ball well and set it up perfectly for Marcus Tudgay who slotted it past the keeper from 18 yards out, in front of the Trent End.

A superb save from Lee Camp prevented Watford from getting a quick one back after a short back-pass by Luke Chambers allowed Marvin Sordell to get onto the ball. The Forest keeper did well to get a foot to it and then had to come out of his area to get the ball clear.

And a superb cross by Will Buckley threatened when he beat Chris Gunter to send the ball across the six-yard box, beating a diving Camp but going out the other side.

Forest threatened when Wes Morgan made a break from midfield before crossing wide to Cohen whose effort back into the six-yard box was just inches too high for Morgan to get his head onto.

After a good period of pressure from Forest, Watford made a break and Sordell came close to getting on the end of Danny Graham's cross and then Camp was just able to get a fingertip to Lloyd Doyley's effort from 20 yards, to put the ball out for a corner.

Forest made a quick break and it was Scott Loach's turn to produce a great save when Cohen's effort from 25 yards out went flying towards goal.

Forest won a free kick just to the right of the D after John Eustace brought Paul McKenna down just outside the penalty area. Earnshaw took the free kick but missed the target, bending the ball round the wall and just wide of the post.

Both sides kept the pressure on until the half time whistle but Forest hung on to their early lead to go in a goal up at the break.

Earnshaw came close to getting Forest's second goal in the opening minute of the second half after Tudgay surged into the penalty area and beat one player before back-heeling the ball towards Cohen. The ball was knocked to the corner of the 6-yard box where, from just five yards out, Earnshaw sent it across the face of goal and watched in disbelief as it went out the other side.

And Watford came close on the break when Graham turned Chambers and fired in a rocket shot which had Camp diving to his left to beat the attempt away.

Substitute Matthew Whichelow twice threatened, having his first effort saved by Camp and his second blocked by Gunter for a corner.

Forest made a quick break and Raddy Majewski's effort from 18 yards was cleared by Martin Taylor for a corner, before the Forest player was booked for diving inside the penalty area.

With the game still end-to-end, Watford thought they had equalized from a corner, but the referee made an early call for pushing in front of Camp's goal.

Paul Anderson became the first Forest player to be substituted, his place taken by Nathan Tyson just after the hour mark and he immediately caused problems with his speed down the left.

A great cross by Tyson from near the corner but was put out for a corner by Taylor. Majewski's corner in had some of the main stand thinking the ball had gone in, but it flashed just wide from Chamber's header.

And Tyson threatened again when he had a shot from 18 yards saved by Loach.

While three of Watford's players received treatment, Forest made a double substitution, Majewski and Earnshaw coming off for Lewis McGugan and Dele Adebola.

It was a frantic end to the game and there was an audible groan around the Cithy Ground when the fourth official held upthe board to announce five minutes stoppage time.

McGugan and Tyson combined well to make a break into the box and McGugan's final ball from 20 yards had the keeper beaten but went just wide of the post.

Thousands of fans whistled for the game to end as Watford continued to push forward and as Tyson was about to get the ball down the pitch the referee finally blew.

Nottingham Forest: Camp, Gunter, Morgan, Chambers, Konchesky, McKenna(C), Anderson(Tyson 63min), Cohen, Majewski(McGugan 79min),Tudgay, Earnshaw(Adebola
Subs not used: Smith, Lynch, McCleary, McGoldrick,
Bookings: Majewski 58min, Konchesky 75min, Tudgay 88min
Scorer: Tudgay 1min

Watford: Loach, Hodson, Eustace(C), Taylor, Mariappa, Graham, Buckley, Doyley(Bennett 79min), McGinn, Sordell(Weimann 66min), Drinkwater(Whichelow 53min)
Subs not used: Deeney, Gilmartin, Jenkins, Townsend
Bookings: Drinkwater 28min, Eustace 30min,

Referee: G D Scott
Attendance: 23,393 Away attn: 1,592

    Latest Match Reports