Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 22 Jan 11 at 15:04 PM

Derby County 0 - 1 Nottingham Forest

Nottingham Forest achieved their first win at Pride Park and their first double over Derby County for 21 seasons with a well-earned 1-0.

It was a hard-fought first half with plenty of pace and its share of tackles, typical of a local derby. Forest had the greater share of the chances, but both goalkeepers were hardly troubled in the first 45 minutes.

It was a disjointed, evenly matched second half, with the ball spending too much time in the air, until the final stages when Forest's substitutions once again proved influential, with Robert Earnshaw giving them the winner with ten minutes remaining.

Forest were on the attack from the kick-off with Guy Moussi doing well to get past two challenges, but his final ball to Marcus Tudgay was too hard and an opportunity to take the lead in the opening minutes was missed.

A good save by Stephen Bywater prevented Forest from going ahead with a free kick after a foul by Shaun Barker on Moussi. It was taken by Lewis McGugan, whose effort from 30 yards sent the keeper diving low to his right to palm the ball away.

Derby had a real chance to take the lead on 28 minutes when Miles Addison was under pressure on the left of the box and squared the ball back to an unmarked Chris Porter. With Lee Camp having gone out to try and block the initial shot Porter had a clear view of goal and Luke Chambers did well to clear the ball off the line. The Derby defence struggled to cope with Forest's speed when Paul Anderson made a break and was brought down inside the D by Robbie Savage, who found his way into the referee's book.

McGugan inevitably took the free kick but this time his effort went high into the stand behind the goal to loud cheers from the home crowd.

Forest made a good break when Moussi sent the ball forward for Tyson to get on the end of it and make a run down the right but his cross was too hard and went across the face of goal and out the other side.

The second half started with the same frantic pace as the first and in the fourth minute McGugan saw his effort from 12 yards caught by Bywater.

The half was only ten minutes old before Savage was substituted, to the delight of the travelling supporters and the disgust of the Derby player, who threw his boots off in the dugout.

Forest increased the pressure on Derby with a good break forward and when Derby did get the ball away Moussi did well to block their progress.

Forest brought on Robert Earnshaw to replace MarcusTudgay with 25 minutes to go.

Forest had a good break forward when Tyson got away from Kris Commons and Dean Moxey became the fourth Derby player to go into the referee's book after bring the Forest player down.

Derby forced a good save from Camp when Porter headed across to Ben Davies whose shot from the right of the penalty area had the Forest keeper diving to his left to palm the ball round for a corner.

Forest further strengthened their attack with Dele Adebola coming on to replace McGugan, with 15 minutes remaining.

And they finally took the lead with ten minutes remaining, after some good build-up work, with Tyson crossing the ball to Anderson. He nodded it down to Earnshaw on the edge of the D who crashed the ball low into the back of the net, past a diving Bywater.

An excellent save by Camp prevented Derby from equalising with five minutes remaining when a powerful header from Barker forced the Forest keeper to dive to his right to keep the ball out.

Forest threatened again with a great run by Tyson down the left to the edge of the box where, under pressure, he squared the ball back to Earnshaw whose effort was deflected out for a corner.

Derby fans were already pouring out of Pride Park when the fourth official announced a staggering five minutes stoppage time.

Derby played the last two minutes with ten men when Dean Moxey left the pitch early after his second yellow card earned him a red.

After a late break by Derby the pace of Tyson again proved too much for the home side as he took the ball to the other end of the pitch.

Billy Davies joined in with the Forest supporters as he shouted towards the referee, pointing to his watch as stoppage time got to six minutes, but the whistle finally went to give Forest the victory.

Davies went over with the players to celebrate the win with the 4,196 travelling supporters.

Nottingham Forest: Camp(C), Gunter, Morgan, Chambers, Lynch, Cohen, Moussi, Anderson, McGugan(Adebola 75min), Tudgay(Earnshaw 66min), Tyson
Subs not used: Smith, Moloney, McKenna, Majewski, McGoldrick,
Bookings: Anderson 45+4min, Earnshaw 80min, Lynch 90min
Goalscorer: Earnshaw 80mins

Derby County: Bywater, Brayford, Leacock, Barker, Moxey, Savage(C)(Bailey 55min) Addison, B Davies, Commons(S Davies 88min), Bueno, Porter
Subs not used: Deeney, Roberts, Pearson, Cywka, Green
Bookings: Leacock 23min, Savage 35min, Bueno 61min, Moxey 68min 90+ 5min RED CARD

Referee: G Salisbury
Attendance: 33,010 way attn: 4,196

    Latest Match Reports