Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 15 Jan 11 at 16:59 PM

Nottingham Forest 2 v 1 Portsmouth

Two late goals from Nottingham Forest keep their unbeaten home League run going as they grabbed a win from a defensive Portsmouth side.

Chances were few and far between in the first half, but Portsmouth made one of theirs pay and although Forest finished the half strongly, it was the away side that were in front at the break.

Portsmouth seemed happy to sit on their lead in the second half and defended in numbers and with considerable success until a late own goal gave Forest the equalizer.

And an ecstatic City Ground crowd erupted as Forest grabbed the winner in the dying seconds of stoppage time.
With Portsmouth winning the toss, Forest started the game playing towards the Trent End.

It was a quiet, disjointed start to the game and the strong wind didn't help the flow of play.

It was 15 minutes before Forest made a real break, with Paul Anderson taking off down the right before feeding the ball to Chris Gunter. His low ball in was initially only partially cleared before the Portsmouth defence eventually got the ball away.

And Portsmouth's first effort came from Hayden Mullins, whose long-range effort went wide.

It was 23 minutes before Jamie Ashdown had a save to make, when the ball was only half-cleared and fell for Chris Cohen. He sent the ball wide to Anderson whose effort from 25 yards was on target, but the Portsmouth keeper was easily able to reach up to grab the ball out of the air.

Portsmouth's goal came after Chris Gunter slipped in midfield, gifting the ball to David Nugent. He broke away, making a good run forward before rolling to ball into the path of Kanu as he ran into the penalty area. After he got past Camp the Forest defence swarmed round him, but Kanu held onto the ball until he could slot it into the back of the net.

Portsmouth threatened again on the break and they were only stopped by a foul from Guy Moussi, whose block gave the away side a free kick 25 yards out. Liam Lawrence sent the ball towards the top corner and Camp did well to reach up and send it round for a corner.

Great work by Joel Lynch gave Forest a chance late in the half when he got round three players as he made his way into the box, but his final effort was blocked by Joel Ward.

And from Cohen's corner, the ball came off Kanu and fell for Marcus Tudgay, who controlled the ball well, but his effort went over the crossbar.

And in stoppage time a low ball in from Gunter found Robert Earnshaw, whose shot was comfortably saved by Ashdown.

Billy Davies had seen enough 12 minutes into the second half and made a double substitution which saw Lewis McGugan and Nathan Tyson come on for Earnshaw and Raddy Majewski respectively.

And Tyson came close to putting Forest back on level terms when his effort from 25 yards had the keeper beaten but bounced off the crossbar.

Portsmouth got back in numbers as they defended their lead, making it difficult for Forest to find a way through and Dele Adebola was brought on to help find the elusive equalizer, replacing Anderson.

A McGugan free kick from 17 yards out on the left forced Ashdown to tip the ball over for a corner.

And three McGugan corners in quick succession also put the Portsmouth defence under pressure, with Ashdown making two good saves.

Portsmouth made a rare break and Lawrence got a long-range shot in, but his effort went over the bar.

A lovely cross by Gunter from the right found Tyson, but his diving header was just wide of the right post.

An own goal by Ibrahima Sonko with three minutes to go gave Forest a late equalizer. McGugan sent the ball in with pace across the six-yard line and with Adebola coming in Sonko was under pressure and clipped the ball past his own keeper.

And with the crowd loudly urging Forest on into the four minutes stoppage time they came close to a winner with a great cross by McGugan to Moussi ,but his effort went wide.

The winner for Forest came in the final minute with McGugan again involved, feeding the ball to Marcus Tudgay who flicked it over the keeper from ten yards out.

Nottingham Forest: Camp(C), Gunter, Morgan, Chambers, Lynch, Cohen, Moussi, Anderson(Adebola 73min), Majewski(Tyson 58min), Tudgay, Earnshaw(McGugan 57min)
Subs not used: Smith, Moloney, McKenna, McGoldrick,
Bookings: Lynch 54min
Scorer: Sonko og 87min, Tudgay 90+4min)

Portsmouth: Ashdown, De Laet, Dickinson, Mokoena(C), Sonko, Mullins, Ward, Nugent, Kanu(Hreidarsson 81min, Utaka(Kilbey 72min), Lawrence
Subs not used: Flahavan, Rocha
Bookings: Mullins 42min, Makoena 77min, Kilbey 90+3min
Scorer: Kanu 26min

Referee: K Friend
Attendance: 21,856 Away attn: 1,170

    Latest Match Reports